Audio Junkie needs a home - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > Introductions

Introductions Welcome to the DIYaudio Community. Introduce yourself here so we can get to know you better!

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th September 2009, 09:24 AM   #1
Abob89 is offline Abob89  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Audio Junkie needs a home

Hey gents,

The name's Aaron. I'm a car audio installer here in SouthWest Washington. I'm joining here to improve my knowledge of our product and... perhaps with time I'd like to learn to repair some of the broken gear we've got coming through our doors now and again. A month or so I was handed an old school Rockford Fosgate Punch 100 a2 with a blown MOSFET (part #BUZ 103 if that means anything to anybody), at some point I'd like to repair that too.

I have been installing for a little over a year now and I realize now that I may be able to install things all day long but I know nothing about what actually goes on inside the amps. I have to say I'm intrigued by the class AB and class D amps that are so common to our industry. It would be interesting to find out about Pulse Width Modulation and all that. I do wish that there was an audio components for total dumb a**es. You know something that was written in layman's terms. If you don't know what Delta-Sigma is then it doesn't mean anything to tell people about it. But I'm sure I'll figure a few things out by lookin' around here.

Thanks a bunch fella's. I hope I'll cya around the forums. ;D
Old 13th September 2009, 02:32 PM   #2
Glowbug is offline Glowbug  United States
diyAudio Member

Welcome

As an installer you could do worse than read http://www.bcae1.com thoroughly. The owner of that site posts here regularly
Old 13th September 2009, 09:30 PM   #3
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Hi and welcome to the forums.
Old 15th September 2009, 12:47 AM   #4
Gordy is offline Gordy  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abob89 View Post
... A month or so I was handed an old school Rockford Fosgate Punch 100 a2 with a blown MOSFET (part #BUZ 103 if that means anything to anybody), at some point I'd like to repair that too.
Regarding automotive installations; reading up on ground / earth system distribution is a sure-fire way to improve your installation technique. Plenty of info around her and on the net, so welcome and good luck.

As for BUZ103, here is the datasheet for you: http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/data...ens/BUZ103.pdf

: )
Old 15th September 2009, 12:57 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to kipman725
Might take you a while to get your head around deltasigma modulation as you need to learn about Ztransforms. But in theory it's higher fidelity than normal PWM as the quantisation noise is shaped such that it can be made to lie in the majority outside of the passband and therfore be inaudiable. In practise the higher clockrates needed and the dificulties in implimenting feedback of high order modulators (better) limit its adoption.
Old 15th September 2009, 05:10 AM   #6
Abob89 is offline Abob89  United States
diyAudio Member

Wow! Gordy, my man. Your BUZ103 data sheet is amazing. That's more information than I can even use! Thank you so much.

I've recently acquired,
"The Audiophile's Project Sourcebook." by G. Randy Slone
It is quite the book. It starts out with some seemingly simple circuits like homemade volume knobs and stepped attenuators, and progresses into powersources and the such. I'm looking for a good first project. Perhaps something that I can use... My car is using a budget consumer amplifier it has a HPF and LPF built into it, however it does not allow for my intended purpose for it. I am going to be doing a Mid-bass driver in my kick panels and I need a bandpass filter. Passive would be preferred, however I'm not opposed to an active, despite the fact that I've already got a 5-band parametric EQ for a pre-amp.

I suppose I should ask if the construction of a passive bandpass filter would constitute a safe first project for a novice like myself.

The product information if this provides any insight into the project.

Exile Audio slim 10" subwoofer
http://www.exilecaraudio.com/product...rs/?model=xt10

Powerbass ASA-600.2x
http://www.powerbassusa.com/products..._class_ab.html
Old 16th September 2009, 01:26 AM   #7
Gordy is offline Gordy  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

A passive crossover should be fine for a first project.

If you want some background reading on amps and audio projects in general then take a couple of hours to look at the Projects and Articles links here:
http://sound.westhost.com/

See you around the forum...

Hide this!Advertise here!