Audio Junkie needs a home

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey gents,

The name's Aaron. I'm a car audio installer here in SouthWest Washington. I'm joining here to improve my knowledge of our product and... perhaps with time I'd like to learn to repair some of the broken gear we've got coming through our doors now and again. A month or so I was handed an old school Rockford Fosgate Punch 100 a2 with a blown MOSFET (part #BUZ 103 if that means anything to anybody), at some point I'd like to repair that too.

I have been installing for a little over a year now and I realize now that I may be able to install things all day long but I know nothing about what actually goes on inside the amps. I have to say I'm intrigued by the class AB and class D amps that are so common to our industry. It would be interesting to find out about Pulse Width Modulation and all that. I do wish that there was an audio components for total dumb a**es. You know something that was written in layman's terms. If you don't know what Delta-Sigma is then it doesn't mean anything to tell people about it. But I'm sure I'll figure a few things out by lookin' around here.

Thanks a bunch fella's. I hope I'll cya around the forums. ;D

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
... A month or so I was handed an old school Rockford Fosgate Punch 100 a2 with a blown MOSFET (part #BUZ 103 if that means anything to anybody), at some point I'd like to repair that too.

Regarding automotive installations; reading up on ground / earth system distribution is a sure-fire way to improve your installation technique. Plenty of info around her and on the net, so welcome and good luck.

As for BUZ103, here is the datasheet for you: http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/datasheet/siemens/BUZ103.pdf

: )

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Might take you a while to get your head around deltasigma modulation as you need to learn about Ztransforms. But in theory it's higher fidelity than normal PWM as the quantisation noise is shaped such that it can be made to lie in the majority outside of the passband and therfore be inaudiable. In practise the higher clockrates needed and the dificulties in implimenting feedback of high order modulators (better) limit its adoption.

Wow! Gordy, my man. Your BUZ103 data sheet is amazing. That's more information than I can even use! Thank you so much.

I've recently acquired,
"The Audiophile's Project Sourcebook." by G. Randy Slone
It is quite the book. It starts out with some seemingly simple circuits like homemade volume knobs and stepped attenuators, and progresses into powersources and the such. I'm looking for a good first project. Perhaps something that I can use... My car is using a budget consumer amplifier it has a HPF and LPF built into it, however it does not allow for my intended purpose for it. I am going to be doing a Mid-bass driver in my kick panels and I need a bandpass filter. Passive would be preferred, however I'm not opposed to an active, despite the fact that I've already got a 5-band parametric EQ for a pre-amp.

I suppose I should ask if the construction of a passive bandpass filter would constitute a safe first project for a novice like myself.

The product information if this provides any insight into the project.

Exile Audio slim 10" subwoofer
http://www.exilecaraudio.com/products/subwoofers/?model=xt10

Powerbass ASA-600.2x
http://www.powerbassusa.com/products/amplifiers/asax_class_ab.html

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.