Hello from Bangalore, India

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
;) Hi Folks

I live in Bangalore, India, have been bitten by the audio bug for about 4 years now. I have made my own speaker systems, one a two way and a couple of MTMs, as well as two powered subs. I also have made a ss preamp and the AKSA ss power amp, as well as a tube amp. I visit the US every year and bring components past the customs guys, who dont know anything about these things!

Any of you Bangalore guys, do get in touch!

George

Hello again

Hi Dhaen

My tube amp is a kit that I got into india in bits and pieces. Its a Welborne Labs 35 wpc push pull design, sounds very good when it works, but it was a bit more complex that I assumed it would be when I ordered it, and I bungled up a bit while assembling it. It's had some teething troubles, and I have had to get n ss amp as a back up(the AKSA).

I will be posting on a thread about some information or assitance I need about a plate sub amp that has atranformer problem-this is a 250watts amp which needs a new transformer or I need to get the old one rewound. I dont have any specs on the tranny( Taiwanse barnd amp) and will start looking for help as soon as I am free. I am also completing my HT speakers, and Audax design from Joe D'Appolito-the centre channel is done, I have to sit and assemble the Main L-R..

This is an expensive and time consuming hobby!

George

hello from bangalore here too

Hi dhaen,

good to hear that someone from bangalore is into this diy stuff.I am from bangalore too and into mostly the speaker diy . would love to get a kit for the tube amp and assemble it. Anyway I live in toronto now,and havin fun building speakers I had build a 12" shiva sub with dual 15" passive radiators , boy they rock.

Anyway good luck to you and hey I am from Cantonment in B'lore.

have fun ;)

Hi Tony

I live near Cooke Town, not too far from the ITC factory.!

Yes, I have also heard good things about the Shiva driver-I bought my second 12 inch driver from Lambda Acoustics, and use a single 15 inch PR.Both these drivers were offered on the basslist at intrroductory special pricing a few years ago. Getting one more PR would have been nice, but I got slammed for Customs for it and decided one would do! The Lambda sub is also very good, it's mated to a 175 watts plate amp.

Problem for us folks here is that anything imported attracts 80-100% customs duty, so I have to get these bits and pieces in when I come on work to the US every year. Fortunately the Customs guys dont know head or tail about components, and a Scanspeak or Raven tweeter is just another piece of metal for them..Even preamps and power amp kits can come in this way without attracting their notice.

George

Don't know what it is ?

Even preamps and power amp kits can come in this way without attracting their notice.

Don't be too sure about this. I have come across customs officers with detailed knowledge about electronics. Times have changed.
And they have the Internet too------------!

Do you know that if they want they can charge you duty on every individual component you have? Then you really get slammed and it can turn out to be very expensive.
Generally they ignore most of these things unless they are TV or video camera and gold related. So always be nice and NEVER argue. Always plead !! You are not in the drivers seat .
With an allowance of about US$250/- you can get away with many things ( worth more than that).
Makes DIY even more exciting in India!
Have fun.
Cheers.

Ashok

I dont dispute that there may be guys working for Customs who know a lot..

OTOH, I am speaking from the experience of having brought in about 25 small drivers-mids and tweeters and two large 12 inch subs over the past 4 years, when by and large no one who is knowledgable about these things has hassled me. The drivers have been Scanspeaks, Focals, Audax, Raven etc. With regard to the internet, I havent yet come across a Customs guy sitting at the arrival lounge at Bombay or Bangalore with a PC connected to the internet having the skills to browse and catch incoming passengers so far..I have also brought in at least 6 kit amps/modules in bits and pieces.If the product is branded box-I brought some Onkyo gear-then you will get nabbed for sure!

I wouldnt worry too much about the $250 allowance, I usually bring in at least $800-1000 worth of stuff each time, I have done this every year for the past 4-5 years!

Again, it is possible in the future that they may clamp down..

Vivek, call me sometime at 5478460, we can meet up!

George

hey george,

which school did you go to john's germans or...................I was very popular on mosque road with my motorbikes somes years back. had jumped off the bridge and landed on the maruti too .kinda crazi hah. Anyway just wanted to let you know you can build the passive radiators by yourself just find a 15" blown speaker and buy the foam surround and diaphram. I built it myself and works great. have fun.

Tony;)

Hi Tony

I was at St Joseph's (European's), but still recall the hockey matches in the late 1960s against Germain's and St Johns..I completed my ISC in 1969 and went to St Joseph's College.Bangalore then was avery different place though.

My wife and I go for a walk each morning via Mosque Road, Coles Road and Wheeler Road. Of course depending on when you left Bangalore, I could say that the traffic has increased!

George

hi george,

man I was'nt even born when you finished ur school. I finished in 87,that means ur a senior. my friend owns the pub on coles road called sherlock holmes. I left to australia in 90 and now am in canada. I don't know if you remeber the liquor shop on coles road facing mosque road, my mate used to live upstairs and we used to hang around there.my parents still live in b'lore on narayana pillai street.May be this year I will be there on a vacation and will say hello.It's nice to see a bangalorean and am one of them too.

bye for now,

Tony

George,

Quite a pleasure to see you safely home with the AKSA in your suitcase!

With all the English names of streets in Bangalore, I find myself wondering at the influence of the Poms, particularly with the melodic, vowel-rich Indian name options. Of course, we in Australia can talk, all our names are Pommy (even mine, dammit!).

If you need assistance building the AKSA, remember, I'm just an email away......

Cheers,

Hugh

Hi Hugh

Good to hear from you!

Yes, the Pommies( and during WWII, the Tommies) left legacies and offspring( many illegitimate) all over the world! Bangalore being about 1000 metres above sea level has a very good climate throughout the year, and many Britishers in the days before Indian Independence loved this place. The 135 year old Bangalore United Services Club, the names of many streets and localities, like Richmond Town, Langford Town, Fraser Town and so on, even today attest to the past. I recall my father talking about the days during WWII-he was an army colonel, who was commissioned into the Indian Army as a second lieutenant 1943, recalling the Tommies- their cockney accents sounded almost like a foreign language!!

My sons have hijacked the AKSA 55 watts amp which I built and are enjoying it during their summer holidays which end soon-I can then reclaim it.

Best regards

George
Bangalore, India

I feel so proud of being a Bangalorean, especially since our city is tipped to be one of the most advanced in the future.

George,
My father did his B.Com from St Joseph's College in 1969. Did you study in the commerce college?

Tony,
Was that the same pub that had a Sherlock Holmes Club? My father (a journalist) tried to find the whereabouts of the club but he was told the club had wound up. If you can pass on any info mabye I can write something about it. I want to write about something other than sports.

Vivek

Hi Vivek

I agree with you about Bangalore. It is also one of the best Indian cities to live in. I was in St Joseph's in 1970-73, did Economics Hons, then went on to B-school at XLRI, Jamshedpur

The Sherlock Holmes pub is at one end of Coles Road-the end away from the Railway line, and towards Wheeler Road, near Sindhi Colony. During some mega sports events they get a projector for their patrons enjoyment.

Tony:

Let me know your Sherlock Holmes pub friend's name, I will drop by and say hello! I live very close by-maybe 1 1/2kms away and is on my way to work.

Regards
George
Bangalore

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.