More Fresh Blood - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > Introductions

Introductions Welcome to the DIYaudio Community. Introduce yourself here so we can get to know you better!

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th April 2003, 11:40 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Smile More Fresh Blood

Well hello. I finaly decided to sign up to the forums after nosing about for a while as it looks like my project just got a bit of a kick start, so I may be after a bit of advice in the near futre on the two projects I have in planning at the moment.

The first of these projects, which I have been thinking about for a while, will be a micro controler based pre-amp with a nice graphical VFD dispaly on it. There is still a lot I need to do on this thing though, as I still only have a vauge idea of what it should be capable of doing (well, I know what it SHOULD do, but the is a large list of things I would like to go with it).

The second project is a bit of a monster amp to conect up to aformentioned pre-amp. This thing should be good for 200W/PC into 8 ohms, and happily go all the way to 800W/PC for 2 ohms. This may sound a little optomistic givin the power it would suck up, but if you look at the picture below you will see what I have just got me two of. Rather large 40-0-40 transformers wich are rated well over 1500VA (not bad for only 40 for the pair new ) which should provide more than enough power to drive a single channel as mentioned above. The only thing I'm not to sure about at the moment is where I can get me some good, cheep power supply caps with a ripple current rating of over 20A in the UK. If anyone can help me out there I would very much apreciate it.

Click the image to open in full size.

Anyway thats it for now, but you should be hearing more from me about the forums as the projects start to pick up pace after (or durign) my exams.

Bigparsnip.
Old 29th April 2003, 12:23 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Welcome.

Since your xformer looks like a chicken, I recommend you use a case designed like a coop....maybe steel mesh (chicken wire) to block rfi lining a plexiglass case?

Ignore me, I'm just thinking out loud
Old 29th April 2003, 12:37 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Never noticed that I bought two chickens, oops. But I see what you meaen, I'll just have to hope the chickens cook good when conected up to the mains, .
Old 29th April 2003, 03:05 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Hi bigparsnip

Nice little transformer you've got there

Welcome to the forums

cheers
Old 29th April 2003, 03:23 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks very much slowmotion, hopefuly I should have some other bit and pieces to go with them soon as well.

Hide this!Advertise here!