audio newbie - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > Introductions

Introductions Welcome to the DIYaudio Community. Introduce yourself here so we can get to know you better!

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th April 2003, 06:54 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default audio newbie

A year ago I wasn't into audio that much. I had a typical old receiver and a couple of old speakers that I just got by with.

Then a Sony 1272 crt projector fell in my lap and one thing led to another until now I have a spare bedroom that has been gutted and turned into a dedicated home theater. Then a friend came over and let me borrow his sub to show me the difference it would make. That led to all sorts of things. So far I have built a sonosub and also a center channel using the Dayton III design. I'm now looking into designing and building a set of rears to replace a couple of small Definitive speakers. I've replaced my old Pioneer receiver with a new Onkyo, added bass shakers (which are now powered by the Pioneer) and built an HTPC.

After reading some of the posts on this forum it's obvious most of you audiophiles are way above me. (I wonder if some of you have seen the sun in a couple of months) Maybe if I can translate some of the lingo I hope to learn a few things here.

Many thanks in advance.

Tom
Old 24th April 2003, 07:28 PM   #2
Taco is offline Taco  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Welcome!

There are enough people in the loudspeaker-section that can help you.

Have Fun
Old 25th April 2003, 11:41 AM   #3
diyAudio Moderator

Hi Riverstyx and welcome

Don't worry about being a newbie, we all have to start somewhere! For many years all I did was build speakers, and just recently I got into the electronics side of things, now I am completely out of my depth in prototyping and building strange supersymmetric chip amps, but having a great time and learning lots
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 25th April 2003, 02:11 PM   #4
Philo is offline Philo  United States
diyAudio Member

What's a "sun"?
Old 25th April 2003, 02:43 PM   #5
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Philo
What's a "sun"?

Supposedly it's a giant overbiased Pass Labs Class A design that orbits around the earth!
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 25th April 2003, 03:15 PM   #6
Philo is offline Philo  United States
diyAudio Member

Then that must be a big blue LED is see when the big amp is powered down.
Old 25th April 2003, 07:04 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

pinkmouse:
If I have to build one of those "supersymmetric chip amps" thingys I'm gonna need to go back to school and I'm too old. I'm an ME not an EE so I don't know the differece between a resistor and a desistor.

However, if I can build one using a router and a table saw then I'll be ok.
Old 28th April 2003, 09:23 PM   #8
EC8010 is offline EC8010  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Welcome,

nobody is too old to learn. I'm prepared to bet that you learn new tricks each week in your mechanical workshop, so why not electronics?

Hide this!Advertise here!