audio newbie

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A year ago I wasn't into audio that much. I had a typical old receiver and a couple of old speakers that I just got by with.

Then a Sony 1272 crt projector fell in my lap and one thing led to another until now I have a spare bedroom that has been gutted and turned into a dedicated home theater. Then a friend came over and let me borrow his sub to show me the difference it would make. That led to all sorts of things. So far I have built a sonosub and also a center channel using the Dayton III design. I'm now looking into designing and building a set of rears to replace a couple of small Definitive speakers. I've replaced my old Pioneer receiver with a new Onkyo, added bass shakers (which are now powered by the Pioneer) and built an HTPC.

After reading some of the posts on this forum it's obvious most of you audiophiles are way above me. (I wonder if some of you have seen the sun in a couple of months) :) Maybe if I can translate some of the lingo I hope to learn a few things here.

Many thanks in advance.

Tom

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Hi Riverstyx and welcome:)

Don't worry about being a newbie, we all have to start somewhere! For many years all I did was build speakers, and just recently I got into the electronics side of things, now I am completely out of my depth in prototyping and building strange supersymmetric chip amps, but having a great time and learning lots;)

pinkmouse:
If I have to build one of those "supersymmetric chip amps" thingys I'm gonna need to go back to school and I'm too old. I'm an ME not an EE so I don't know the differece between a resistor and a desistor.

However, if I can build one using a router and a table saw then I'll be ok.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.