Newbie eager to learn - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > Introductions

Introductions Welcome to the DIYaudio Community. Introduce yourself here so we can get to know you better!

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th April 2009, 11:21 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Newbie eager to learn

Hey Folks,

I feel that one cannot join a online community without some sort of introduction and obviously you folks feel the same since there is this partition on diyaudio.com.

I was introduced to the benefits of 2-channel audio, hifi or whatever you'd like to call it roughly 3.5 years ago. I call it another vice, with which I am obsessed with but unlike some of the others before this one has hung around the longest. I've been into cars, cigars, micro brews, guns and all those goofy hobbies but one thing that has always been a huge part of my life like so many others is music.

Good speakers until 3.5 years ago were my Klipsch Promedia 2.1 computer system. I loved that little speaker system and what it did for me was plant a seed about quality speakers in the recesses of my brain. I then began my career with a large electronics retailer and met a gentleman who was a 2-channel enthusiast. He introduced me to the world of hi-end audio, specifically a system comprised of Legacy Audio Focus 20/20's, McCormack DNA 500 and McCormack preamp and Sony's top of the line SACD player at the time.

From the point forward I was hooked, I had realized that my love of music could be made even better than ever with a good home stereo system. I immediately began reading everything I could about home audio, the philosophies around speaker placement, equipment synergy etc etc. Long story short I have assembled a system that I am very proud of.

Speakers: Mirage M-3si's
Amp: Odyssey Stratos Extreme SE
Preamp: Odyssey Candella
Source: Primare CD21

After 3.5 years I have a new itch but this remains focused in the realm of home audio. This new desire revolves around the need to learn the inner workings of audio designs and I feel like DIY is the best way to learn, at least for me. I'm looking to learn a lot from this forum just as I've learned from audiocircle and audiogon.

Forgive the long introduction but I tend to be long winded when I actually type something out. Thanks for your time and patience and I know I'll learn a lot from all of you.

The only thing I've done so far that would be considered DIY was the construction of my audio rack, which I'm very proud of. Anti-resonant and fully adjustable shelves using threaded rod so I'm sure you can figure out what design I based mine off of.

P.S. I have a degree in English so when it comes to engineering I know nothing. I'm starting out as a complete newb who understands some very basics such as what is a sinewave and for example the differences between voltage and current. That's about it though.

Regards,

Pete
Old 5th April 2009, 11:25 PM   #2
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to DIYaudio!

We all started out somewhere. I couldn't afford a stereo when I was a kid so I started learning and building early. Led to a career in the industry

There's lots to learn all over the forum. When you get stuck, post a question.

P.S. seems like you have a pretty good system already, what do you like/dislike about it?
Old 6th April 2009, 12:39 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Iain,

Thanks for the warm welcome. My system as of right now is fantastic and I can say that I'm very happy with the sound. Smooth and clear highs, gorgeous mids and bass that has some SLAM .

In the future I would definitely like to get into vinyl but I'm more so concerned with using pc audio as a source. What brings me here is just the want to understand how the system works in a more detailed way. Unfortunately I have a hard time learning from just seeing and or reading I have to read and actually practice in order for me to retain and understand what is going on.

My first project will be to build a gainclone amp as it seems to be the best for starters. This will be used for a secondary system down the road with the intent to eventually build a Pass First Watt model

Hide this!Advertise here!