Belated hello

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Lee in Bradford, Yorkshire.

I must admit, I registered a few months ago, but have only just got to here. Slap on the wrist.

Mostly I'm a hifi nut. My electronics skills are about up to changing plugs and fuses sort of level.

I built a little pair of speakers a long time ago. Mostly, I'm here for the odd bit of diy help on simple matters, such as my next query.

Hi starburst.

Is the Fighting **** on Preston Street still open? I've had some very wobbly nights in there. Good beer and no carpet.

A mate lived in Queensbury for a while on the ironically named Sunny View Terrace. The place spent more time in fog and cloud rather than sun, but I suppose Foggy View Terrace wouldn't have had the same ring to it.

John

To the best of my knowledge the Fighting **** is still alive. Much else will have changed. There's a list as long as your arm of pubs that are no more.

Now Gone

Royal Standard
Peel
MacRory's
Delius
Waterloo
Melbourne
Tumblers
Shearbridge
Wheatsheaf
Flagship
Ram's Revenge
Champagnes
Pickwicks
Frog and Toad
Cavernas
---and more

It's easier to say what is left open

Pound shops
Mobile phone shops

starburst

It's a shame the Royal Standard has gone, a dangerous but entertaining night as I recall.

I'm originally from the Huddersfield area and have left the Calder Valley in drizzle, but had to dig the car into a snow filled parking place once I arrived in Queensbury.

There was a house near The Omnibus which had a name plate on the gate that read "Sea View Cottage" and below it "Beware Of The Dolphin" It made me chuckle every time.

John

Yes the Royal Standard went years ago. The chimney stack came off one night and went crashing down through the whole building. Fortunately they were closed at the time.

This naturally involved a substantial interruption in normal trade. Some weeks later a fire gutted the place. Rumours of an insurance job abound. It's now been demolished and a health centre built in it's place.

I must look out for the Sea View dolphin next time I'm in the area....lol.

Lee

The Slaves used to hang out in the Frog and Toad and Wheatsheaf too. Now both gone. Are they the kiss of death to pubs. Wherever they frequent closes down.

As it's obviously been a long time since you were around, I should mention that the Fighting **** had indoor toilets installed about 15 years ago.

That sounds so odd now I type it. The idea of a pub with outdoor toilets.

I must have only seen the luxury version on the Fighting ****, I never experienced the outside toilets. It makes sense really.

You wouldn't want to be sat by the gents door if someone was suffering the effects of a weekend on Old Crutchwetters Spleen Bruiser or some such brew.

It's been at least 10 years since I was in Bradford, even then it was a now and then event. Saw a lot of bands in the Georges Hall, saw a lot of hookers in the Manville!

I will avoid passing comment about the Slaves, the President lives in my home town!

John

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.