Found Happiness

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everyone.

My name is Nima, I am a Iranian born American who is 19 years old. I have always had a passion for DIY anything. I have always had a burning desire in the automotive field which I pursued and now have a project which i have been building for almost three years at this point. I always loved sound quality in automobiles and have been apart of some very high end SQ builds. Well all that changed for me one day when I sort of lost touch with the world of DIY and my passions for audio. I became was dragged into the wrong crowd of people and became a drug addict up until recently. Now I fought back and am back into what I love and I figured why not start doing DIY Hi-Fi to keep myself out of trouble. So here I am, and I am ready to amass as much information as possible. Well I hope I didn't bore any of you but I'm ready to dive in head first and have fun doing it!

I think amps are a nice place to start. A simple chip amp is a quick win project that is good for teaching or refreshing you on the basics. Power supply, signal input, gnd lines and impedances.

After that sources are fun but more comlicated to my feeble mind.

I dont have space for building my own speakers, so I am limited to tweaking here.

I think that you may get loads of different answers to that question!

Heres were I run into a problem. I purchased the set from a friend who managed to destroy the cabinets they were in. I've been having a hard time trying to find the info of just the speakers instead of the whole cabinet. Here is what i found so far:

Technical Info
Model: BM5A

System: two-way active nearfield monitor

Frequency response (+/- 3 dB): 50 Hz - 21 kHz

Max SPL 1m, pair (IEC Short Term): 115 dB peak

Max SPL 2m, 5.1 (IEC Short Term): 116 dB peak

Input level for 85 dB SPL @1m (+4/-10): -16dBu RMS @ 0dB setting

Input level for max peak SPL (+4/-10): +9dBu Peak @ 0dB setting

Power consumption at idle: 10 W / Max: 90 W

Amplifier power:
Tweeter: 50 W

Woofer: 50 W

Resonance frequency: 55 Hz

Internal cabinet volume: 9 liters

Bass principle: bass reflex

Crossover frequencies: 1500 Hz

Crossover slope: 6 dB/oct

Tweeter: Esotec 28 mm/1.1 in. soft dome, rear chamber, Magnetic fluid. 4 mm die-cast aluminum front, Pure aluminum wire voice coil

Woofer: 175 mm/6.9 in., One-piece molded poly-prop cone, 75 mm/3 in. pure aluminum voice coil

Weight: 8.7 kg / 19.2 lbs

Dimensions (W x H x D): 186 x 320 x 320 mm / 7.3 in. x 12.5 in. x 12.5 in.

So what I'm assuming I need is a 1500 hz crossover with a 6decibal per octave slop correct? How would go about all this, anyone have any good links they would like to share on crossover creation?

Welcome to the forum Nima & heartfelt congrats on getting the monkey off your back.
On the old enclosure.......can you find the remains of the old port tube?? We need that tube as we don't have any specific specs on the woofer. Measure the inside dimensions of the box carefully....is it exactly 9 litres??
As I said we need the inside diameter and length of the port.
From there you can use the "magic" dimensions to remake a new enclosure along with all the DIY tricks we can muster.
I would use a 12 or 18 db slope for the tweeters as a 6 Db will allow the tweeter to wander into low frequencies.
EG 6db, octave...1500-750-375-187.5-93.75-46.875
By fourty six hertz it is 'only' down 30 Db!
Perhaps my math is wrong as it is stated 6 Db per octave.
Woofers are more forgiving , a 12 Db should do better for those....depends on the woofer...some get erratic & do whats called "cone break-up"( sound lousy) at too high a frequency.
________________________________________Rick.......

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.