Intro

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Rich,
My 'pain threshold' has increased considerably (prior to this I hadn't even broken a limb)
Same here. Sprains, but no known breaks.
but I don't have chronic pain.
Unfortunately, that is one of my "official diagnoses". There is no escape, no time off from this. The Oxycontin I'm on only takes the edge off, nothing more. I can't see how people want to use this drug for recreation. Does nothing for me in that way at all. Each dose is 40 mg plus maybe a 5 mg. I have actively trying to keep my prescribed doses down to a minimum. Probably not to my benefit though. I'm told I suffer needlessly, however no amount of drug has even reduced the amount of pain to below a "4" even. Don't you just hate those "out of 1 to 10" type scales?
I have persistant 'hangover' like symptoms.....it's just that they never go away.
Mine is normally at a lower level, but when the pain increases, so does the dizziness. I really don't envy your situation at all. You have to be incredibly careful when you are dizzy.
Bed spins (more like Earth spins),
That's what I mean, normally nothing near that bad for me. How do you keep your food down?
motor control deficit, constipation, nausea (yes, I have to take a pill to ingest and excrete
Well, that answers my question. Excretion due to drugs is a problem. Not pleasant at all. Coffee is my drug to loosen things up. That horrid stuff you take for a bowel exam was the only time recently I haven't felt bloated, but then during the procedure they pumped air in and left it there. I will not say what is on my mind about that, but it is one of the more painful experiences I have had.
short term memory loss.
I live on post-it notes. Life is a very current affair for me. Once I get it into long term memory, I'm fine. Therein lies the trick.
The rehab people are wonderful
Absolutely! Especially if you are reasonable with them.
I met several people in there who have much more to overcome than I do.
You know what? That is so true! It's just the people with minor problems that drive me nuts crying about how bad things are.

Did you know that they figure around 70% of injured workers on insurance coverage are faking it?? Those 70% could easily work (not to say they don't have any problems), but choose to stay at home, "on the system". This figure agrees closely from what I observed while attending a "Functional Restoration Program" that was offered through WSIB, an insurance program in Canada. I got this figure from a cousin who works as an investigator for WSIB. I didn't know he did this when I met him at a family gathering, after I was injured. Small world. Anyway, those people who will not try to improve their situation really tick me off. Then you see the people who are really injured and they are all doing their best. Rarely a "poor me" among them.
It still amazes me how much math people do 'in their head' and instinctively, without knowing, JUST by walking across a parking lot.
That is much worse than most people I have met. Sorry to hear these things are that difficult for you.
but through mental exhaustion......kinda weird.
Yes, I understand. Constant issues (like dizziness or pain) tend to exhaust you. It's is a different type of exhaustion, like you are wiped out in spirit and every other way. It has not much to do with what you are doing. Trying to think (and failing) is both exasperating and exhausting. Especially since you know you used to be able to do these things without conscious effort.

I think the biggest problem for most is getting across to others around you that you do get very tired doing not much. The mental exhaustion can also make you very curt with others. "Snapping" at people is another good example of this.

Try and sleep well!

-Chris

anatech said:
.....Unfortunately, that is one of my "official diagnoses". There is no escape, no time off from this......no amount of drug has even reduced the amount of pain to below a "4" even. Don't you just hate those "out of 1 to 10" type scales?
Yes I do hate them. I'm told I would describe my pain level in colors (I have no recollection of this) and when pressed to give a number would always say 4. After having a hole drilled into your head for an emergenccy CSF drain, not much else seemed to warrant above a 4. I half-wish I didn't remember that, but it's good for me.

My Mom's husband suffers from chronic facial nerve pain, so I can relate, if not empathize, with your pain situation. He does get crabby at times, and it must be un-kind to deal with persistant pain.

.....How do you keep your food down?

Upon release to home after rehab, I steadily lost weight, couldn't keep anything down. They even tried Marinol. They were going to readmit me and put in a J tube, when the wife took me for some homeopathic (Reiki I believe) theraoy. Maybe it was the power of suggestion, or NOT wanting to be admitted again, but I was able to stabilize my weight and hold down food. I still can't eat a thing until late afternoon though.

I live on post-it notes. Life is a very current affair for me. Once I get it into long term memory, I'm fine. Therein lies the trick.
I had a chart in the kitchen to remind me......take morning pills, eat something, read something, feed the gecko, etc. I found that I was beginning to develop an obsession with lists (perhaps an OCD related thing) and gave up. I figure if I get weak and feel about to pass out, I must not have eaten in awhile.....works so far.

.....Did you know that they figure around 70% of injured workers on insurance coverage are faking it??......

That wouldn't suprise me. Some times I think the world would be a better place (if not humbler) if more people actually HAD something to bitch about, they wouldn't as much.

....I think the biggest problem for most is getting across to others around you that you do get very tired doing not much. The mental exhaustion can also make you very curt with others. "Snapping" at people is another good example of this.

Yes, sometimes I think my wife gets the bad end of the stick compared to me. If I lash out (I have 'impulse control' deficit) I know I don't mean it, and will forget it the next day.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.