lil ol me - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > Introductions

Introductions Welcome to the DIYaudio Community. Introduce yourself here so we can get to know you better!

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th December 2008, 10:29 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default lil ol me

i'm new on the site...i'm not as technolicious as most contributors here, but i've got a big ol brain, i'm sure i'll pick a few things up. i'm really amazed by the creativity and passion i find in the individuals and projects i've seen here. as a poet/small time recording 'artist', writer, dancer, actress (you get the picture), i've had chances to collaborate and create with others, and it's always magical to see how seperate body/minds can become one HUGE body/mind and accomplish so much more. and like artists, the community here is driven only by their own enjoyment and obsession, which is an attitude i can truly appreciate.

so, part of my joining up here is to gain better access to new ideas and tecnniques related to audio recording and performance, and toincrease my comfort level here in the quarters of the technocrat. i tried to avoid this end of 'showbiz' for fart too long, steeped in the liberal artist's disdain for gadgetry. but mcLuhan said it right i think- the medium is the message...what i say is only as important as who hears me and it's through technogadgetry that we are heard in this society...

so thanks for having me here!

jane
Old 6th December 2008, 10:00 AM   #2
albin is offline albin  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default welcome indeed

What a completeley refreshing outlook.made my day,thank you.
regards
max
Old 6th December 2008, 04:55 PM   #3
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

A hardy welcome from the other side of the country.
Old 6th December 2008, 08:23 PM   #4
49 - for the 18th time
diyAudio Member

Hello tweetertox - and Welcome to diyAudio. Lord knows that we of the technogadget clan need a bit more "balance" into things "not technicial". Someone to point out that not everything in life is better when it bigger - or has more power - or more watts - or more of - - - - (fill in the blank). For most of us our real enjoyment comes when we get to sit down (and slow down) to actually listen to and thus enter into the performers world. I love to soak in vibrato of a cello while I anticipate the cord that is about to be struck on accompanying piano and appreciate the talent and skill of the artist and those that have "captured the moment" with a competent recording. The Yin and Yang of things - balance - synergy - getting into "the zone" where everything comes together - that's a sweet moment. It's a wonderful thing when producers can get the artist into the studio - get "it" down (recorded) - and get it "out" (produced). The second part comes in getting the recording reproduced in a rewarding and enjoyable way - and that is what most of us are attempting to achieve by various methods and at different levels of affordability. As to appearance - well most of us are technocrats - and male. So the "looks" of the equipment ranges from the simple but functional (usually some left over plywood that might get a coat of primer splashed over it - and I plead guilty to that) to the polished (ohhhh SHINY - SHINY) and angular, and LARGE.

I guess that the real point is that we will be better off for you presence and your fresh perspectives.
Old 6th December 2008, 08:58 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default the berlin wall fell

mandela is free.the medium might be more important than the message.
happy old fart
regards
max
Old 6th December 2008, 10:43 PM   #6
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Hi Jane,
Welcome! (from a place somewhat closer to you)

No shortage of ideas floating around here. Don't forget the older threads that can be searched for information.

One think I might ask though, please? Using the caps and punctuation make your posts easier to read for the rest of us. Yeah, I'm a techie. In my defense though, my daughters are all very artistic and one was in Ottawa as well.

-Chris
Old 7th December 2008, 09:36 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Hi all

albin- right back atcha!

c2cthomas- I appreciate those that appreciate diversity, and am glad to be here, but maybe we're more alike than you think- LOL - speaking of 'great minds think alike', one of my projects is snidely titled 'sinnerjism' (synergism). Any one working in and towards that 'sweet zone' is working together to create something greater than it's whole.
oh, and as to the look of you 'boys' creations, i align with the punk aesthetic whose DIY ethic is the message and the Media...besides if things really need prettying up...a little paint, maybe some stickers...and vavavoom!

cal- Hello and thanks for the shout out.

anatech- hi! Thanks- i had already considered those old posts as an important resource, and from what i've seen already there's a lot to learn. Sorry about the lack of caps...but i always punctuate properly, if sometimes creatively and to effect.

No defense needed for techies- and i'm sure you're just being modest- your medium simply happens to be schematic and electronic.

thanks for the friendly welcome ya'll!

jane

ps...ok i gotta take the bait albin... As to mandala- I could argue some points there. Basically my theory states that if the media 'forced' the world to apply sanctions to south africa thereby heralding in a brave new free government, then it actually allowed/forced many enterprises to leave SA, so there was next to nothing for the 'native' or 'black' population to inherit from their oppressors. And now South Africa has become the African centre of media and popular culture, and the cheap place to do a lot of the stuff media and culture techies and support type staff get paid a lot more to do in north america, in the fields of design, film production, audio recording, etc...I in no way wish to denigrate the work mandala, a compassionate, brilliant and beautiful man, and yet he is only one man. One whom the media didn't need to spin to make us love and agree with...So in other word, Mcluhan still stands. For now.
Old 8th December 2008, 01:02 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Default Bait....

I'm hooked
Technolicious....what a word,Idid a search,it's a first here.
Ubiquity,Isn't that it,what with the technology,I mean I hate gadgets,but electrons,they're something else.What I mean is,well what I'm trying to say is like,but,and therefore.well yes I'm glad I cleared that up.
Seriously I totally agree,
regards
max albin
Old 8th December 2008, 02:51 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

heyalbin

aa! everyone's a critic- fellow well met, and please to continue to enjoy my diversifaction of electronish engineeration.

jane
Old 8th December 2008, 04:35 PM   #10
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Hi Jane,
There is a facet of the artistic mind used when laying out a PCB pattern. That's where I sometimes express my "art". I can't draw worth a darn otherwise.

Enjoy and have a blast!

Do artists drink coffee?

How about those members in society who are our moral compass?

-Chris

Hide this!Advertise here!