Aloha from Orlando FL - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > Introductions

Introductions Welcome to the DIYaudio Community. Introduce yourself here so we can get to know you better!

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th November 2008, 07:37 PM   #1
RogerAF is offline RogerAF  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Aloha from Orlando FL

Hi everyone,
I just joined this forum after searching for Darlington Amplifier Circuits.

I am from Honolulu, HI originally, but moved to Florida last August. I work as an independent electronics engineer and technician. In Hawaii, I specialized in Pro Audio gear and Recording Studio maintenance and installations. I also worked on theatrical lighting and video projection systems.

I moved into electronics after nearly 20 years of playing electric guitar in Honolulu and California (and one show in Albuquerque, New Mexico opening for Steppinwolf in 1975). Most of my bands played original music, so I was always interested in recording (just never got any albums finished). I started electronics school after taking a Marshall amp head in to a repair shop (because it was picking up radio and buzzing) and the tech put a shield on the preamp tube that was missing it. He charged me $1 for the shield and $30 for the labor. I decided right then that I needed to know what was going on inside the amp. I was good with a soldering iron, having made my own cables and repaired them for everyone in the various bands I'd played in. I was also the guy who set up the stage and sound system at every gig where there wasn't a house tech and crew.

Electronics school also introduced me to computer programming and digital logic, which I found I had a knack for (I always did well in math) and I found I enjoyed solving programming puzzles. I did some professional programming on a contract basis just before Windows came along. I didn't like Windows much, as the programs became huge--way too big for my taste. I'd been happy with MSDOS, but it was a skill that became outdated. Until embedded processors came along.

I got into programming embedded processors around 2001 or so. I worked with Zilog and Renesas devices at first. Later I worked with Freescale, Atmel, and TI. Then I discovered Microchip and I've become very fond of their stuff. Someday I'd like to try Analog Devices processors, because I've always liked their linear ICs for audio, but it takes quite an investment to get all the tools needed, not to mention the cost of the chips themselves. ADI is very nice about supplying free samples, but not so much with the DSP MPUs.

Anyway, that's my story (and I'm stickin' to it). I like electronics almost as much as playing music, but it is easier to be creative and still make a living. Plus there is so much to learn, and I find it is all fascinating.

I'm looking forward to learning a lot from this forum and hope I can contribute some in return.

Aloha,
Roger
Old 28th November 2008, 09:31 PM   #2
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Aloha Roger and welcome to the forums. Nice to have you aboard.
Old 3rd December 2008, 01:29 AM   #3
BWRX is offline BWRX  United States
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Hi Roger. You're not crazy like most other embedded guys are you? Just kidding. Have fun reading/posting about everything related to audio electronics.

Hide this!Advertise here!