Greetings from Maryland.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
All, I'm new to this site as of this month. Got introduced to tube audio about 10 years ago when I was searching for some replacement tubes for a couple old radios. I got those, and more. From that point on it seemed like tubes and audio equipment kept finding me. So now after 10 years of collecting, and retirement possibly on the horizon, I'm looking to actually DO something with all this stuff. I've already had several conversations with Burnedfingers ( what a guy!) about working up an old Dynaco st70. This should be fun.

BTW, does anyone here in the group have any suggestions about setting up a dedicated work area for electronics repair/rebuilding?
( or guide me to the discussion if it exists on this site) I'm in a position at this point where I have to re-arrange portions of my basement, and now is as good a time as any to set up a work area. I figure an intelligent layout will make things much more enjoyable. I'm already planning to incorporate comfort and safety items ( think GOOD lighting, non conductive [wood] work desk, rubber mat for the floor and an isolation transformer. Any suggestions on layout ? Let me know.

Lastly, if there are any folks out ther familiar with Eico HF-20 amps, and have modded them into monoblocks, I'd like to hear from you as I've got about a half-dozen that I'd like to experiment with.

Thanks and look forward to hearing from you.

Ohighway

Thanks guys. I did post the question in another area.

Cal, I saw your profile. Just what kind ( and how big) of speakers interest you?

justblair, I'm a never say never type person. Into tube items now, but you never know what's down the road. What took me so long? Career, family, other diversions. Now that it looks like I'll have more time, maybe I can start having some real fun with this stuff!

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Ohighway said:
Cal, I saw your profile. Just what kind ( and how big) of speakers interest you?

Big ;)

Altec boxes and Selenium drivers.

Attachments

• img_7652.jpg
    img_7652.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 168
I'd say I'm similar to you ..... not sure if I ever met a speaker I didn't like. ( just ask my wife)

OTOH, the size thing is a bit relative. Your medium = my large, Your small = my medium.........

Here's a pic of a future project. ( assuming I can figure out how to attach an image) Just needs some light refinishing, and some assembly.

Scratch that, I visited the vB Code help section and still can't figure out how to attach an image. I'll just send an email message with one or two.

Cabinets are some home built versions of Electrovoice "Regency" enclosures I picked up several years ago. The 15" coax shown is a Stephens Trusonic 206axa. This is a project that should only need some basic refinishing and some assembly.....

Here's a pic of a Stephens P52A driver. Produced before the 206axa, and has a different shape of cone (curvilinear). Both the P52A and 206axa have true multicellular horns, looks like they're made of hand bent/soldered sheet metal, then tar coated. Really nice construction quality on these.

Attachments

• stephens-p-52-a.jpg
    stephens-p-52-a.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 134
I'm looking through your photobucket pix right now.

First impression: I'm in awe, especially of the big Altec system.

Second impression: I love the pic of the huge horn in the back of the pickup truck. Strikes me as the logical response to "what do you do if the a-h*le in the car next to you with the bumpin' stereo won't turn it down.
(you get in front of them, then BLAST them):D

Hi, thanks for the response. The coffin shape is just the camera angle, they actually have parallel sides. They are my bedroom speakers. They are a bi amped 4 way. The inverted dome came from a set of AGS speakers purchased from the Sally Ann. Make unknown but they say Japan on the back. They are about 25 years old. The mid as you can see is OB and is a holey Coral salvaged from a set of Monarch's and given the planet10 treatment. They are around 35 years old. The mid bass is an MCM purchased from RAW for 5 bucks each. The Tang Band subwoofer and Dayton plate amp came from Parts Express and the passive radiators are from McBride. Two cabinets in one. Here's the back with the same funny camera angle.

Cheers.

Attachments

• finished back small.jpg
    finished back small.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 116
Hah, bi-amped system for a bedroom..... you're even sicker than me...;)

I need some clarification, or definitions.

AGS speakers? Sally Ann? OB? holey Coral? planet10? RAW?

Which Dayton plate amp is that? I try and get over to Parts Express whenever I visit the Dayton, Ohio area. Back in August I picked up a few pairs of these just to play with:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=309-400

Listening to my Ohm Walsh speakers convinced me that Omni can be a good thing, particularly in a home theatre. I figured the Spherex would be a good approximation of Mirage Omni's , but on the cheap. Likely will end up as computer speakers along with a sub.

Attachments

• 309-400l.jpg
    309-400l.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 110
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.