Greetings from Maryland.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ohighway said:
AGS speakers? Sally Ann? OB? holey Coral? planet10? RAW?

Hi sorry about that.

AGS - speaker manufacturer of old

Sally Ann - Nickname for the Salvation Army 2nd hand stores.

OB - open baffle, the midrange is not in a box. Helps with "airiness"

Holey Coral - Version of the Fostex F103 made by Coral, has a holey basket (see pic, this is before treatment to the driver)

planet10 - Speaker guru, moderator on these forums, did the mods including cone, phase plug, duct seal on the basket, damping on the magnet cage. 2 hour drive and 1 1/2 hour ferry ride from here

RAW - RAW Acoustics, another speaker guru. Lives 20 minutes from here.

I like the idea of omni sound. How do you like them?

Attachments

• img_4410.jpg
    img_4410.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 110
Holey Coral batman! That is one -- SERIOUS -- slug of Alnico on that speaker!

Haven't really messed with the Spherex speakers. Not really sure I have any great expectations for them. However I figured they were worth the price of admission just for the speaker enclosures and grilles. Could be refitted with better components if need be.

As far as omni in general....well.... my only real experiences thus far are with the Walsh 5's and Walsh 2's. But that was enough to make me a believer. As mentioned before.... they're great for home theatre... you can sit virtually anywhere (even severely off center), and still get a great stereo image. Try -that- with electrostatics.:crazy: My future speaker building experiments will certainly include attempts at building omni speakers. Definitely want to work some up with efficient speakers, so I can use some of my tube stuff to power them. ( the Walsh spekers really need solid state, they're power hogs)

You being the Altec lover, I'd like to pick your brain as to what's needed to get good bass out of my A7 clone bass bins.

These work well in mine.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=264-425

Although the A7 boxes are supposed to go with the big cabinets, they really do hold their own. I just took them on a road trip a couple weeks ago and we managed to listen from over 100 feet away and they were just fine. No lack of bass. Where do you have yours now and might it be the room is just too small for the bass to develop?

Attachments

• 125-2594_img.jpg
    125-2594_img.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 89
Cal, I have mine in a 30' x 40' garage. They sound "ok" with the doors closed, but frankly sound a bit better if I have all three doors rolled up, and listen to them sitting outside about 30' in front of the garage. ( which puts the speakers about 60' away from me)

The cabinets came with some Jensen 8ohm woofers in them. As the tops and crossovers are Klipsch (type AA crossovers) they want to see a 4 ohm woofer. So years ago I got some Eminence woofers from Parts Express. Here's the specs from a rep at Eminence:

Here are the T/S parameters for 15677:

05-RE OHMS 3.97 13-FS HZ 41.93
06-LE MH 1.17 14-MMS GMS 89.35
07-QM 6.65 15-CMS mm/N .1612
08-QE .370 16-RMS NS/M 3.5376
09-QT .350 17-VAS LTRS 166.07
10-XMAX MM 5.50 18-SD SCM 856.34
11-BL TM 15.93 19-EBP 113.9
12-EFF % 3.21 20-SPL dB 97.1

It has a 3" voice coil and a 95 oz magnet. A conservative thermal power rating based on the voice coil diameter would be about 500 watts. Estimated coverage 45Hz-3kHz.

The Eminence woofers improved them some, but I think they're still falling short. Can't remember the port size on the cabinet, but it's a big rectangular opening.

I have reduced the port size to 90 sq ins and am thinking of going to 75 to tune it a bit lower. As far as I know the Seleniums are known for their bass. I run them with a Hafler 500 amp so I think that helps the bass also. In any event, unless there are a lot of people, I can get away with running the A7 cabinets on their own. Mind you, I have padded the two horns quite a bit so it may be that they are just better balanced than yours, I dunno.

Haven't really messed with the Spherex speakers. Not really sure I have any great expectations for them. However I figured they were worth the price of admission just for the speaker enclosures and grilles. Could be refitted with better components if need be.

I apologize for resurrecting this thread but my beloved Spherex system has been acting up recently. The 5 speakers are find though.

Hence, I am wondering if there are ways to re-purposing the speakers with an amp (maybe a plate?) that would sound as good as the original Spherex system?

Has anyone paired these speakers with another amp and had good results?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.