Anybody fancy a small project and get paid for it?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Here is the spec

Hi All,

The requirement I am looking for is as follows.

Background:

We like music and my whole three storey house is wired for sound, principally driven from a Yamaha system in my study (the nerve centre) on the middle floor. This is linked to a compact tuner/amp in the master bedroom on the top floor and also an A/V system on the lower floor. None of these are expensive systems but they sound good to me. A cable from the study to the bedroom is connected via phono plugs to the aux port - this enables me to listen to CD/Tape/TV/Computer generated music on the upstairs floor at the same time as on other floors.

The tuner/amp in my bedroom drives three sets of speakers on the top floor, this is currently a mini sized tuner/amp I purchased from Radio Shack in the US but it is faulty. Whilst the size and function is basically good it does not have a clock or speaker selection and therefore not ideal (refer spec below). I therefore decided not to repair it but look for a replacement.

After searching for a long time I still cannot find a suitable replacement - I don't want a micro system with CD and Tape. Also, my minimalist bedroom was hand-built with a slot in the wall that suits the size of my existing receiver.

It would be absolutely fantastic if I could get something made to measure and hence my posting......

Requirements:

1) The casing needs to be no larger than 300mm width, 100mm height and 200mm depth (looking at it from front). If size is a problem then there could be an external box stored in a cupboard underneath.

Ideally casing will be black and metal (though not essential) so that it can be easily engraved with text next to buttons by taking it to a trophy shop (I can do this later if preferred).

2) It needs to have a large digital clock of red LED type (ie no backlight), I would like LED numbers to be between 15mm and 25mm tall

3) Tuner needs to be FM/AM with digital tuning, ideally 5 or 6 presents but not essential. Would be great if it could display the radio station name but not essential. Display can be a Red LED type or backlit LCD type but must be off when the device is powered off (the device is close to the bed and the backlight will keep me awake at night)

4) If you really wanted a challenge then we could add a DAB tuner but am not sure if these circuits are available on the market yet.

5) Three input selections on front panel FM, AM, AUX (the input from system in study).

6) On/off buttons for three pairs of speakers A,B,C - they all need to be able to work at the same time or independently switched off. (if a real problem then could reduce to two pairs)

7) I am thinking 20w per channel for each speaker x 6. If this is difficult then could drop to 10w per channel for speakers B and C.

8) Other amp features will be bass, tone, balance, plus loudness if not too difficult.

9) Connections on rear of box: FM aerial, aux input via phono plugs, three pairs of speakers, power.

10) Would rather pay for reasonable quality than go dirt cheap. I am imagining that this would utilise pre-built circuits.

11) Power supply can be built in or external.

The picture enclosed is an illustration of these requiremetns only -the type, size and layout of buttons does not have to be the same.

Can anybody help make this ?

Two good suggestions are 1) take a car stereo and build it into a box with the other requirements (Thanks RobWells) 2) Cannibalising existing receiver for working parts and build these into a box with other components (Thanks TraderBam)

Either of these seem good to me.

Cheers

Jeremy

The Illustration

Attachments

• custom tuner-amp design march 2003.jpg
    custom tuner-amp design march 2003.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 328
just a thought

Why not make a computer based system? Living where you do, you can get DAB cards that will do all you want, and then use a network system to play it and control it - you could use wireless keyboards or even palm type gear. Cheap broadcast type work surfaces even. Use GPI's to switch. Lots of options, and in then end the system will be much more flexible.

I would love to do it as it would be fun, but I live pretty far away.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.