Announcing the arrival of fresh meat.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well, kind of tough, really and a little old, too.

Still have the desire for doing it all myself, though. Always have!

These days, I'm into tube audio, Open Back (OB) speaker designs, nutty subwoofers and outdoor listening. Listening outdoors removes the problems associated with room issues and I believe it is a further extension of open back listening. There is some true magic to be experienced with this approach, if you haven't tried it.

I notice that my searches bring up quite a few old semi-dead threads. Is there any problem with posting in any of the threads or is this place wide open to n00bies attempting to revive interest in ancient discussions?

Other interests for the near future include ripping every CD, LP, old live tape, etc from my substantial collection into my computer (I have been at this effort for quite a while and I have over 18,000 tracks ripped in hi-res, so far.) and learning how to get more than convenience from digital sound, straight from the hard drive.

I'm still using XP Pro, EAC, Winamp, and FLAC, through an M-Audio 2496 card, coupled to tubes and OB drivers, with very pleasing results.

I'm looking to learn more from the community here!

Fractality said:
Well, kind of tough, really and a little old, too.

Still have the desire for doing it all myself, though. Always have!

These days, I'm into tube audio, Open Back (OB) speaker designs, nutty subwoofers and outdoor listening. Listening outdoors removes the problems associated with room issues and I believe it is a further extension of open back listening. There is some true magic to be experienced with this approach, if you haven't tried it.

I notice that my searches bring up quite a few old semi-dead threads. Is there any problem with posting in any of the threads or is this place wide open to n00bies attempting to revive interest in ancient discussions?

Other interests for the near future include ripping every CD, LP, old live tape, etc from my substantial collection into my computer (I have been at this effort for quite a while and I have over 18,000 tracks ripped in hi-res, so far.) and learning how to get more than convenience from digital sound, straight from the hard drive.

I'm still using XP Pro, EAC, Winamp, and FLAC, through an M-Audio 2496 card, coupled to tubes and OB drivers, with very pleasing results.

I'm looking to learn more from the community here!

First, welcome to the forum! It sounds as if you already are doing fine and want to widen your data base and tap into other's experiences. Generally speaking, it looks like you'll be a "contributing member" with your experience and knowledge.

As far as opening old threads, that's probably the preferred method to address any questions that you have (of course, it's assumed that you've actually read the thread before posting ;)
It serves no purpose to have 5 or 6 threads on the same subject in the archives and having to bookmark several, just to get the information you need.
As far as reviving interest in ancient threads, I believe it's ok, as I really haven't seen any real concenus of opinion on too many subjects.
The only threads that really seem to get people angry, are those that are started by a newcomer claiming that "no diy project could ever hope to equal a commercial product!" Obviously it's usually a troll trying to get some excitement, otherwise why would they be here in the first place?

As far as outdoor listening, I'm a believer after going to "Planet 10" and hearing it for myself. Planet 10?

Anyhow, I'll be eagerly awaiting your input on ripping to HD and will probably be asking some really "dumb" questions myself, not to be a jerk, but because I really don't know much about it.

Best Regards,
TerryO

Hi, TerryO,
Thanks for the warm welcome.

I swear I posted my last comment around 8:30-ish my time. I was long asleep by 1:00 AM. I guess I'll get used to the moderation, eventually.

Sorry, don't know Curtis "Too Tall" List. Sounds like a great name for an old blues cat, though. You might have missed the, "Semi-Retired" part of my bio. I got out of the rat race in the mid nineties and pursued other interests for a while. I have only done volunteer work and mentoring, recently.
I haven't done much pro work here in Indy at all, just local bands, churches and small time stuff. I have gotten married and settled down, mostly, since those crazy days, but I was a Road Warrior for many years. I worked out of Texas in the late seventies, until '84, then moved my base to Nashville and stayed there through the early nineties. Quite a few old stories there.
:D

"no diy project could ever hope to equal a commercial product!"

Honestly, I find it difficult to believe that any dedicated DIYer could take a statement like that seriously. Myself, I am a firm believer in NOT feeding trolls. I may not always recognize them at first, but NO troll chow here!

:whazzat:

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Yo Fractality,

Welcome to diyAudio from another of the - ummm - errr - "seasoned" type of DIY audio nuts here. Looks as if we share some things in common - "simi-retired" - volunteering - mentoring - Nashville TN (I'm close enough for a short drive - and far enough away to avoid the high taxes) - know a couple of people in "the sound business" etc. I'm looking a ripping and downloading audio / video to a HTPC and am working on what parts I want to use for that project - but I change my mind or find something "cooler" almost every day. Now if I can find a grand or two to build things up with I might actually get around to doing it.
:wave:

<snip>

"no diy project could ever hope to equal a commercial product!"

<snip>

Yow!
Folks that make commercial products make DIY suff too. I worked on the Harman Kardon Signature series amplifiers and have a bunch of them. Mostly I've been building speakers these days, but I'm working on my own solid state amplifier. I wanted to see what all the fuss was with tubes, so I built a SET from scratch and was pretty pleased except for the 4 watts of output, so I built some high efficiency horns. They sound fantastic with the glass, especially out in the yard, but open up to galactic proportions on a solid state amp. They're great down to 64 Hz, so I added a Bag End ELF processor and a pair of HK Signature 1.5's bridged into a pair of 4X10 cabinets (that's a horsepower a side). The ELF processor was the secret sauce in the Grateful Dead's Wall of Sound. The whole mess is flat from dog hearing range to 8Hz.

Don't be intimidated by the junk in the hi-Fi shop. The most important thing there is to look expensive. I'd say that an entheusiastic marginally technical person can out perform anything commercialy available for a fraction of the cost. If you can't build it yourself start in thrift shops. There's all kinds ofstuff that doesn't belong there that may be perfect or needs some repair. Just listen critically to what you have and figure out what you'd like to improve.

Cheers,
ML

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.