New member from Central Texas (USA) - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > Introductions

Introductions Welcome to the DIYaudio Community. Introduce yourself here so we can get to know you better!

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd July 2008, 09:36 PM   #1
sonidos is offline sonidos  United States
Libertador de la Música
diyAudio Member

Cool New member from Central Texas (USA)

Hello fellow DIYers. I'm glad I found you! I joined several weeks ago and I finally took some vacation time this summer and I have a few minutes to introduce myself.

I guess you can say I've been an on-again off-again DIYer since my teenage years. My father bought me a small portable casette player when I was 12 and I wanted to transfer music to casettes. I made a simple cable and jacks from some cheap parts I bought at Radio Shack with my allowance money and it actually worked.

Fast forward to the 90s and I became friends with Steve Giunta at Audio Systems in Austin. Steve was a good friend of Corey Greenberg's at Stereophile. When Corey wrote up his article on the BUF-03 preamp, I talked to Steve, bought some parts, and created my own preamp using the point to point method that worked pretty darn good. Nothing exploded or misbehaved. I was pretty proud of myself. Steve later improved on the design and sold his preamps under his SGA brand. I bought the parts from him and I'm still running an SGA preamp in my home system.

I'm a project manager at a software company in Austin, TX and I've had a long history of working with high-tech companies in Austin and I studied a couple of years of EE but changed majors to Economics, so I know just enough to be dangerous. But reading through these posts tells me I'm taking baby steps right now.

I've already ordered a chip amp and it will go head to head with my Adcom GFA-535. Also on my list is Mr. Pass's B1. It looks too good to pass up.

In the future, as I get my projects completed, I'll be happy to share photos and experiences. I'm glad to have finally found this community.

Old 22nd July 2008, 09:44 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jacco vermeulen
An EE knows enough not to get killed, but goes broke on this hobby.
An Economist knows enough not to go broke, but kills himself instead.

A bit of both looks fine by me, welcome to the broke and deseased.
Old 23rd July 2008, 08:07 PM   #3
sonidos is offline sonidos  United States
Libertador de la Música
diyAudio Member

Jacco,

Thank you for the welcome and your statement rings very true with me.

Thankfully, I have a few spare parts, like some toroids that I can put to good use so that I am a little less broke. I still haven't decide to whom I should will my stereo components yet.
Old 23rd July 2008, 08:11 PM   #4
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Hi and welcome to the forums.

Hide this!Advertise here!