Here I am, need some suggestions for my first amp
Well ... i didnt know where to post this so i do it in my introduction thread.
Here I am 28 years, discovered Hifi several years ago, and start to get addicted to it, I already moded my CDP and build a VSPS, I have some basic electronics skills but learn a lot at the moment.
i need some suggestions for my first selfbuild amp. There are thousands of shematics on the net and choosing the right one can be quite confusing for a amp building virgin.
I have a catalog of attributes the amp should match and maybe you can help me choosing the right one.
1. Output Power 5-10W at 8 Ohms (my speakers are Jamo Studio 180 and they are labeled 4-8 Ohms)
2. Class A - No discussion on that topic
3. Tube / Solid State / Mosfet / Jfet / Hybrif doesnt matter, I prefer Tubes (at the moment i run a vintage philips 9016) but am open for everything
4. Should be easy to build, withou PCBs would be best
5. Should be easy to simulate in Microcap, i recognized that Spice simulation helps me a lot to visualize, understand and learn low things work
6. No exotic parts, everything should be easy to source
7. Not expensive, i am living on a very tight budget and it will take me several month for sure just to source the parts even for a cheap design
8. As little parts as possible in the signal path
9. Last but not least: High linearity, low distorsion, good sounding, Hifi
I plan to build two monoblocks since i always wanted and admired the look of monoblocks, the volume pot and source selection (just CD / Phono) can be integrated in my VSPS housing easily.
And finally some Pros / cons :
Tubes: Sounding nice, easy to build, low parts count but expensive output transformers (exept I wind them on my own)
Transistors : Big Heatsinks are not easy to get, but spice models are usually quite accurate. Most designs require a good PCB Layout and ridiculously large filter caps
Maybe you can help me to find the right circuit for my needs
Thanks for your help.
Hello Razorblade and welcome to the forums.
Welcome to the diyAudio forums RazorBlade :D
From reading your post and requirements I think that you will find some helpful information at this web site: http://www.lampizator.eu/
Read the section "Lampizator DIY step by step for beginners - a DOC word tutorial". Very useful information and I think you will enjoy it.
Thanks for the welcome and for the input,
the lampizator site is really a great source of information and has pointed me in the right direction what to do with the digital part of my system, but i still dont have a real clue what amp to build, these transistor thingies scare me, 27000uF fliter capacy ... sry thats not my world. i guess i will go all tube, i have chosen two circuits that look quite promising, one is a mullard 3-3 clone, the other is a 6l6 SE, both with the EF86 as first stage, but for both output transformers are hard to get here in germany.
Thanks for your help
Your requirements 2 and 7 are conflicting. If you can find cheap transformers, etc. (surplus?), I'd look at the Pass F5.
What's a VSPS?
Hi, very intelligent design, IMO, :)/sreten.
Great, great, great, no more suggestions please, the F5 or the 6l6 SE, it will be one of these two, i will have to calculate which one will be cheaper in the end.
But after a rough estimation of the costs both will be the same ... maybe the good old cointoss has to decide :smash:
But first my vsps needs a power supply ... first things first
|All times are GMT. The time now is 01:53 PM.|
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©1999-2014 diyAudio