new guy here

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey folks -

I've been dabbling with some DIY audio schematics, and managed to cobble together the LM386 Little Gem amp, and I'm onto my next project.

I've got a KA4558 op-amp chip handy. All the schematics I've seen show similar op-amp chips used in pre-amp circuits, and not in actual amplifier circuits.

Can the KA4558 or similar op-amp chips be used to make a small practice amp, or are they only useful in the pre-amp circuits?

Lsharptec1 said:
jovial_cynic,
It will make a nice preamp and tone control section for a mono practice amp.

Ah, interesting. I've never used a pre-amp before, so I'm not completely certain how it shapes the sound. Like I said - I've build the LM386-based Little Gem, and it did what I wanted it to do. You are suggesting that a KA4558-based pre-amp to go into the Little Gem amp would be an improvement?

Do you suppose a 9v could power both of them, or am I going to need to use a 9v for each of them?

jovial_cynic,

Here is a link for the spec sheet on the KA4558.

http://www.fairchildsemi.com/pf/KA/KA4558.html

The spec sheet does not show practical schematics for a preamp, but you can find those all over the web. Just do a search for
"dual opamp audio preamp".

You can get away with using a single 9V battery for both devices, but be advised that battery life will be shorter.

Good luck.

Larry

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.