Introductions seem to be in order...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well, I'm a bit young compared to everyone else it seems....only a mere 15 (16 in May..), but it's better to start learning young, right? I got a bit of an interest into DIY stuff a few years ago when I became a bit interested with computers. After playing with all that stuff, I just found interests in other topics that caught my interest... Most of my classmates consider me a geek, but hey, everyone is a bit, I have two computers up and running that I ended up putting together myself, then I helped a relative with restoration of his house, so I learned a bit about wiring, and my interest in electronics became rather high. So to make a long story short, I felt it was time i found a wholesome hobby.

I don't know too much about everything yet, just touching the surface, so I was hoping someone may have a nice idea for something to start on to get my feet wet, any help is appreciated. Other than that...I'm relatively normal, living in a rural suburb is rather boring after all. So thanks for any help and glad to meet you all.

/Nate (Very American name isn't that?)

Starting Eletronics

Hi Viyqa

I Am 16+ 2 and a bit why not get some Book’s Like Starting Electronics by Keith Brindley ISBN 0-7506-2053-6 Butterworth Heinemann Ltd this is British book but you may find it on some book sites
I am still learning this electronic stuff so you are not alone

What are you interested in Building If it’s audio Amps Have a look at Geoff’s The class a amp site at the JLH 10watt Single ended class a amp you will learn something hear
But if you tri this you will need some big Heatsinks not cheap or you can search for the gainclone threads

Hope I have been of some help

Regards
Colin
http://www.gmweb.btinternet.co.uk/jlh1969.htm

hey, I'm 16 also, although for just over a month. if you play guitar, id recommend building a few simple effects boxes to get started. ive been building them since I was 12 and its always fun to see how much i can cram into such a small box. even if you dont play guitar, you probably know people who do and you might even find some thatll pay you for parts too. good way to get experience for free. otherwise, id find simple preamp or small power amp schematics and get to work putting stuff together. good luck.

-chris

Gidday Nate! Age is unimportant except that you have the advantage that brain-fade has not caught up with you yet. ;) For a small but really good project have a look at that gainclone amplifier thingo around here somewhere. Throw yourself into this stuff all the way and keep going at it for a long time and you will find yourself eventually doing projects (and designing your own) that you probably wouldn't dream of at present. You will be able to pick up a circuit diagram like a competent musician picks up a piece of sheet music and know whether it is good or junk just by looking at it. :nod: See the pic of this partly built stone-age oscilloscope? I built it when I was *exactly* the same age as you. I was almost overwhelmed at the time but now it would be a doddle. You will find exaclty the same thing as you progress. It takes time to get to know who's who around here but you will find that if you are sensible and respectful then people will be falling over themselves to help you. Welcome and good luck. :)

Attachments

• cro2.jpg
    cro2.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 503
Wow, thanks for all the replies guys. I'll start looking for a copy of the books you mentioned Colin, and the suggestions for starting are good, once I finish this bloody homework I'll be good to actually do something tonight! Glad to see that 'm not the only young one with little experiance too, always a relief.

Nate

homework? i havent had any in weeks. at least where i go to school, its very possible to finish everything in-class if you stay on task and occasionally sacrifice your lunch to the library. and they give me straight a's for it. what a nice feeling it is to get home from school and know i have nothing to do for 8 hours but electronics and occasional movies and what not. everybody in school should try it sometime.

-chris

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
The kids are in town...

Welcome, uiyga and all the others.

When I was your age... Seriously, I had to make my mistakes on my own. With the help you can get from this forum, you should be off to a flying start.

You won't have had much of a chance to discover it yet, but it's amazing the help people will give you if they think you are already making an effort. Compare and contrast the following two questions:

"Could you design me a circuit to do something that I'm not quite sure about?"

"I worked out the resistor values for making an inverting op-amp with a gain of 3, but when I made it, the chip got hot and nothing came out. Can you help?"

If you're still at school you have access to facilities that are closed to most of us. You have access to physics labs and a mechanical workshop. Take advantage of these! I made my first two pick-up arms while I was at school. It took years before I could afford a lathe to make a replacement...

You're lucky Chris, our teachers give us no in-class opportunities to do our homework, and I have multiple hours a night, and I can't believe how annoying it is, stupid AP courses. Anyway, it seems my progress is limited to the weekends for now. Thanks again!

Nate

Hi Viyga

You May have found this site if not this is the Boot that I let you know about Try to get the paper back though cheaper mine I got for free from my local library just forgot to return it owell that was about ten years ago the book is just a basic starter so don’t pay to much for it you mite lick to check the electric sock thread hear Some very good advise there be careful with that electric stuff is Lethal Have you had some thoughts on a project mite I suggest the gainclone amp again
Just type staring electronics in goggle to much to list hear

hears one for you but you will have to get the PSU & heatsink

Colin
[

[/URL]http://www.qkits.com/serv/qkits/diy/pages/QK106.asp[ http://www.qkits.com/serv/qkits/maplin/pages/AA93.asp

About where to start...

I suggest that you print out and read the construction articles about the Zen amps at www.passdiy.com . They are very good for getting going, not too expensive; possible to scrounge lots of the parts.

The latest incarnation is the Zen IV. The transformer offered here http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9849 would probably work pretty well for a 2-channel version of that amp. The voltage is just right.

good luck, and have fun!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.