Revox, Studer, reel-to-reel and classical music

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ladies and gentlemen,

allow me to introduce me and my interests.
I first got infected with classical music in my childhood, back in the radio era of the 70s. There was a certain cult of the radio in our household and I developed strong interest in early music, from Perotin to Bach which is the most represented in my CD and tape library.
Then came the reproduction side. As a young boy, i was working as a junior studio manager at Radio Belgrade and this is where I fell in love with Studer, Revox and tape machines.
My first DIY (ad)venture occurred seven years ago when my beloved B&O Beomaster 2400 developed noise. The service shop where I took it to broke it in two - literally. Then I said: from now on, I'll do it myself. And so I equipped myself with books on electronics (I had known the basics from my father) and tools and slowly began. On this way, I did destroy more than one piece of equipment (but this is now happening really seldom!) and have repaired dozens of amplifiers, tape recorders and similar stuff for my friends and myself. I have never had any interest in cassette recorders, whatsoever, while I have never had the appropriate equipment to fix tuners - they are still terra incognita for me.
I do believe in the engineer's approach - that to build a great sound by means of a good schematic and inexpensive parts, rather than in the amateur's way - to use overrated components and dubious projects.
My professional side is not linked in any way to the audio, except that I moderate the largest hi-fi website and forum in Serbia.
And this background brings me to this esteemed site.

That's the right spirit. That's how I started, too. Only, my interests got triggered by old radios at the age of five or so. I kept wondering where that voice came from and had to poke inside until I found the guy on the other end of the wire.

Welcome Mr. Studer. ;)

/Hugo

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
I'll forgive Revox because you like Studer (yes, I know Revox was the domestic arm of Studer). If I could have thought of a good excuse, I would have had a pair of Studer A80 at home, but I couldn't, so they went to a friend who keeps them in his flat. I settled for a Nagra...

Welcome to the forum.

PS I thoroughly approve of Bach.

Thank you for your welcome. I used to work a lot with A80s and I know they are built like tanks but I wouldn't like one at home because they are so mean with tapes and tend to break everything which is not backcoated studio tape. However, I would settle with an A812 or with B67 just fine. And I also keep my father's Nagra IV - they are probably the finest mechanics ever developed for reel-to-reel.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.