omni directional speakers - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > Introductions

Introductions Welcome to the DIYaudio Community. Introduce yourself here so we can get to know you better!

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd November 2007, 08:17 PM   #1
dvsound is offline dvsound  United States
diyAudio Member

Default omni directional speakers

As an old designer I no longer have interest in front firing speakers. I believe the subject has reached a peak. It is as good as it will ever get. It still doesn't quite satisfy.
I am interested in open baffle and omnidirectional speakers and there more uniform power responce. I believe they hold the key to greater advancement of speaker design and enjoyment.
My research on the subject lead me to Sigfried Linkwitz web sight. I hadn't heard from Sigfried in over 20 years. I wasn't surprised to see he was well ahead of me in exploring this venue.
I signed up with this sight to gather information from others like myself wishing to go down this road.
If you have interest in this area, contact me. You will find I know a lot more than most you will talk to. I have test equipment and design software.
I am not interested in opening a speaker maufacturing company. This is personal with me. If I satisfy myself I know I would have satisfied others as well. Besides I am to old to start such a venture.
Old 23rd November 2007, 02:26 AM   #2
BudP is offline BudP  United States
diyAudio Member

Well, you have wandered in to a hot bed of speaker development.

Go here for a startlingly polite exposition of thought on open baffles.
Beyond the Ariel

And here for a discussion of truly unique improvements in driver to air interface technology.
EnABL Processes

Welcome to wonderland, please bring your tools to the parties and feel free to start your own. You are going to have fun....

Bud
Old 23rd November 2007, 03:43 AM   #3
49 - for the 18th time
diyAudio Member

Hi dvsound,

Did my electronics and missile tech school at Mare Island back in the day. Lived in Sacramento but relocated to Nashville in 2006. I see that BudP has introduced himself already! We met when I was doing an omni project at this thread OHM Acoustics "Walsh F" Speaker remakes

Working on an OB now based on a couple of other threads such as these: Sensitive Wide Range Open Baffles
Here's My Usher/Altec Horn Loaded Open Baffles...
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...97#post1358197
as well as Lynn O's thread that BudP mentioned.

There is also a thread about the "Burning Amp" festival that was held in SF a few weeks back that you should find interesting. The Burning Amp Festival- an Audio Happening

Love to discuss omni and OB! Welcome to diyAudio!!
Old 23rd November 2007, 04:47 AM   #4
el`Ol is offline el`Ol  Germany
diyAudio Member

Nice to have an expert here.
Can you explain the Sonab speakers to us?
Look at the OA-14, OA-116, OA-2212.
I don´t understand the driver arrangements.
http://www.carlssonplanet.com/speakers.php
Old 25th November 2007, 03:21 PM   #5
waricle is offline waricle  Australia
diyAudio Member

Gooday Dvsound
Dipoles have a sound of their own
I have tried a couple of OB subs for my esl57 without success but have not given up yet!

Hide this!Advertise here!