Sorry for not introducing myself sooner. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > Introductions

Introductions Welcome to the DIYaudio Community. Introduce yourself here so we can get to know you better!

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th November 2001, 06:09 AM   #1
walker is offline walker  Australia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to walker
I live in Perth WA, (West Australia (realy stands for Wait Awhile, and thats OK by me). Built my first amp, speakers and cass deck nearly 30 yrs ago. Work in the electronics industry; repair, FM station technician, etc.
In early eighties bought Acoustic Research AR9s (biamped)Yamaha C2a pre and 2 x Yamaha M2 pwr amps. Lived with that system for ~20years. Upgrades limited by WKM, (wife, kids, mortgage).
Foam speaker surrounds finally perrished this year Price of new speakers that have the range of the AR9s over $35k Aus. though many have better sound.

Problem; want to replace AR9s, keep the extended range, improve the sound quality and not remortgage the house.

Solution? Design and build new speakers with the good qualities of the AR9s and new drivers. I have demonstrated the advantages of active crossovers and multi amps many times. This time I am going to connect each driver to an individual low impedance amp, (for me quality amps are a dime a dozen) and use good qualtiy but cheap drivers, (probably Peerless) and suck it and see.

Thanks for any help that you guys and gals can give. Aplogies if at times I sound a little arogant/know it all, comes with age and trying to talk to HIFI salesmen, or at least thats my excuse.
Regards WALKER

PS The best improvement that I have ever been able to make to any home HIFI system is a new recording/CD/record, and it's also the cheapest.
Old 2nd February 2002, 03:18 AM   #2
dice45 is offline dice45  Germany
diyAudio Member

hello Walker,

would you consider a fullrange speaker used as a wideband speaker?
Would be an expensive thing (US$1500 a pair), but you only need 2 drivers, one for each channel. The thing is made for an open baffle and sounds like a dream.
I am talking about the Fertin FLB20EX. an 8"- high-efficiency field coil speaker with whizzer cone and rubber surround.

If you are interested, I am just building a speaker with it and soon will post results.
Old 2nd February 2002, 03:46 AM   #3
walker is offline walker  Australia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to walker
Dice45, thanks for the suggestion. I've yet to hear a good full range speaker, that doesn't mean that I've listened to everything . I have a couple of great sounding 2 way speakers that I will continue to use but they have their limits.
Good luck with your project.
Regards WALKER

Hide this!Advertise here!