Hello from Canada!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Been lurking around the site for quite some time, and finally decided to join.

Little bit about myself:

-Heavy Duty technician for the last 12 years
-been tinkering with audio as far as I can remember
-have some studio experience
-built my own transmission line speakers
-Tossing around the idea of building my own Turntable
-looking for a decent source to fix my Realistic Tr-3000 R2R decks (I have 2)

Anyways, Hello!

Hello and Welcome,

I'm and electronic tech for Instrumentation and Controls (poper generation, water tyreatment, etc), and have tinkered myself with all manner of electronics, especially audion since I was a little guy.
I currently am infatuated with my car audion system, which is unconventional, but all diy'd and sounds in my humble opinion veeerry nice.
I also recently built a speaker with dock for mp3 player, built in amp and rechargeable batts, etc. Nice portable sounds!
I guess you'd be looking for belts and other rotating rubber for your R2R's, also perhaps heads and pots of schratched...
I can't recommend any sources, but I have used micrometer, etc to measure belts and wheels, then found mail-order sources for parts that match - same for pots and heads... It CAN be done, although you may know that original parts are probably not avail, or the rubber is too old...
Blessings, and seeya on the forums... Bdog

brucedog said:
Hello and Welcome,

I guess you'd be looking for belts and other rotating rubber for your R2R's, also perhaps heads and pots of schratched...
I can't recommend any sources, but I have used micrometer, etc to measure belts and wheels, then found mail-order sources for parts that match - same for pots and heads... It CAN be done, although you may know that original parts are probably not avail, or the rubber is too old...

Actually the mechanicals of the R2R units are fine, it's the electronics that are giving me grief.
On the first unit, both meters work fine in either record or if I'm listening to a external source with it, but it won't record to tape properly (very quiet), and Playback is full of hiss (Which I think means the playback head is working) but it only picks up the recorded audio on the right channel, and even then it's barely blinking the VU meter.

Second unit, the power supply board was smashed to hell (thank you UPS you BuNcH of MONKEYS!) as well as the exterior plastic, but I managed to glue it back together, bridged the cracked and broken copper PC circuits with solder, and it appears to be working alright. One meter is not functioning, but playback is similar to the first unit, but does not record at all.

As for the belts, I have purchased a couple of replacements from a Teac X-3 (virtually the same unit internally) so I'm covered there. The rest of the rubber parts are alright for condition.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.