Greetings from central Minnesota

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello fellow Audio lovers

I am a novice audio appreciator that is trying to identify which direction to go with the hobby. I collect guitars and guitar amps, as well as audio speakers My resume would say that I have a background in film and tv production.

I just purchased a pair of the 6 ft MINT oak Magnepan III a/'s and am awaiting delivery. I am sure I will see an extensive addition to the listening range, wont know until Sunday but am eagerly awaiting hookup and testing session that afternoon. I also picked up a pair of Klipsch RVX-54 towers on a whim and will hook them up today or tomorrow to my CD player and give them a trial.

I currently run a Yamaha A/V amp/receiver with 1200 watts total into two pairs of 6 ohm Wharfedale towers. I run a separate AV amp into another pair of 8 ohm Cerwin-Vega two ways and an 8 ohm Polk CS5i center, giving me a mediocre but effective surround for my 50" WEGA Sony. I am considering adding a mid to high end CD player, am currently just using two 50 count Sony cd players.

I am not here claiming to be knowledgeable or an expert and am WID E OPEN to advice and suggestions. The only thing that will curtail any immediate purchases would be the budget. You will often find me asking questions that may seem to be coming the most naive or technically challenged soul here...but I would rather sound stupid and ask than to risk a blown speaker or amp. ;) I am definitely NOT an electronics wizard by any stretch and what may be common knowledge to many here will very likely need to be explained to me.

I look forward to absorbing the expertise and reviews that I will find here.

Thank you for the welcome!

When you say better amplification, what direction would you suggest going with it? As I said, I am wide open to suggestions and comments.

I had a MacIntosh that I have since swapped off, but that was a pleasure to listen to...i just found it a hassle to hook it up vs the niceties of RCA plugs or similiar. I will admit that the quality and range that amp offered offset the hassle and made it worth the extra effort.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
MagneMan said:
When you say better amplification, what direction would you suggest going with it? As I said, I am wide open to suggestions and comments.

I had a MacIntosh that I have since swapped off, but that was a pleasure to listen to...i just found it a hassle to hook it up vs the niceties of RCA plugs or similiar. I will admit that the quality and range that amp offered offset the hassle and made it worth the extra effort.]

My buddy was using a big Audio Research. The Magnepans need a fair amount of power. So you'd need a big tube PP amp (40-80W) or a quality SS power amp (or integrated amp). There are quite a few decent SS amps to build on the forum. Tube amps too.

dave

Thank you for the audio invite!

Do any of you know much about the Chinese amps being sold at blow out prices on eBay? Some of them look very nice, very sophisticated, and well made. I did notice they clean up on shipping to compensate but then again, I am fairly sure that shipping a 40-60 lb amp from China to the USA insured, in 7 days, isnt cheap either.

To make a long story short, for the heck of it I picked up one of their point to point wiring 85 watt per channel tube amps to give it a try. I just hope that I end up getting it now. (insert image of weak smile)

Good luck with the tube amps. They certainly are a crap shoot. Some inexpensive Chinese amps are great deals, some are likely to start a house fire. Maggies aren't very friendly speakers to drive. They prefer big solid state that is stable into low impedances and provides plenty of current. I like little amps, but Maggies often take a serious watts to sound alive. It will depend a bit on your room and musical tastes though.

pj

Good evening,

I agree, its too small for anything but limited use. I will use the Chinese tube amp for my Dyna FM receiver and playing with that realm.

I hooked up the Mags to my Yamaha amp pushing 110 watt per, and at a medium volume on the volume scale, it shuts the amp off. lol...i am already shopping for the "right" amp with enough oomph.

I will say that with the Klipsch RVX-54's on main speakers and a Polk center channel CS5i on one amp and the Maggies on the other amp, the Yamaha, its giving some very nice listening. They seem to augment each other nicely.

update on the Chinese amp: Sound Luster model 110volt

excellent workmanship
no problems noted
works fine
tone is solid and there is tons of headroom
point to point wiring, class A push pull

they clipped me a bit on shipping but even so, I wouldnt hesitate to buy another one if something happened to this one. all in all a spectacular buy.

Any of you familiar with converting a 220 volt amp to 110 for standard household outlet use?

Welcome, minnesotan! I'm in Mpls, myself.

Everyone's budget and DIY ability is different, but I've been thinking to myself that if I needed a big SS amp I'd get me a Behringer A500 and try to hotrod it. They're $175 - $200 depending on where you get 'em, and 160 watts at 8 ohms. You can bridge them if you need to go really big. There has been some discussion across the web on modding them.

Note: I don't have any actual experience with the Behringer, or the Maggies, so YMMV.

The tube amp sounds fascinating... it's only a matter of time before I get intrigued enough to buy one...

Hmmm how many Minnesotans?

Howdy Adam, Howdy Shallbe,

Nice to meet fellow woodsmen with an ear for audio.

I have used the Sound Luster for almost 3 weeks now and I havent found one bad thing to say about it.

I hooked up a lowend Sony cd player to it and the amp keeps on giving. Warm, clean tone. Picked up a very nice Acurus LS-11 pre amp off eBay (redhead electronics out of No Dakota, of all places) and its sweetened the sound and cleaned up the signal infinitely.

My next venture will be a mid to upper range CD player...am admiring the tube models lately but want to keep the cost under $1k. I am quickly finding there is no end to what you can spend, with $500 cables and $100,000 turn tables...YIKES!

AdamThorne said:

Hmmm how many Minnesotans?

I know of at least 4.

I've heard some maggies with a massive acoustic research amp (it's part of the minnesota audio society club system). I've also heard that they pair up fairly well with some of the PSE gear (was made here in Minnesota)

Some other SS amps that put out some wattage are adcom. I've run a 535 on and off for quite awhile and am really impressed with the sound for $100.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.