new german user

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone,

living in Duesseldorf, Germany (Rhineland), I am interested in horn enclosures and tube amps. My first hornspeaker was mentioned in H. Klinger's book, RPB 105/105b of 1970 Page 82. It had an Isophon 10" Woofer and oval MH Speakers.
In the 80s I built Schmackshorns and BK101 for Fostex FE103 Σ.
The tube amp was completed 1994, EL34 PP, schematic from Guenter Welter who told me the spiritus rector was David Manley, the amp named VTL60. Nevertheless I did not find anything about that amp in the www
Input stage consists of a 6201 both systems paralleled, 6SN7 for the phase splitter and two EL34s. Trannies and misc. parts from Welter Electronics.

My Stereo System:
Scheu Cello turntable with Syrinx PU3 tonearm (improved by audioorigami, thanks, j7) Benz Micro Glider
Rega Planet 2000
Sony PS1 mods according to Mick Feuerbacher
Studer A807 Tape Recorder
Counterpoint SA-3 and Plinius M7 Preamps,
VTL60clone (see above)
Marantz MR320
Schmackshorn, Fostex FE208 Sigma
Fostex BK101, FE103

Another hobby uses up a lot of time: old pressure lamps such as coleman, petromax and vapalux.

Egbert

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Hello Cal, hello Chris,
Thank You very much for your friendly welcome!
Actually I included 2 fotos in the introduction, but apparenty they do not show. Well, I think I will spend some time with the help function. But I uploaded some pics to flickr, http://www.flickr.com/photos/mister_bien/
I’m afraid you will be disappointed, it looks like a big box with only one speaker.
The real horn ist built from diffusible fibreboard, outer skin is particle
board, verneered with 2mm pine, the back covered with cork. Speaker Cable is very short, the tube amps are wall mounted above the schmacks. The thickness of sides, bottom and top is 40mm, the back even 60mm, glued with Ponal® and Pattex® (from Henkel, Duesseldorf, Germanyjavascript:smilie(';)')) and fixed with numberless Spax screws. slender beams are fixed to the bottom and casters bolted on them so I am able to move the Colossus.
When I introduce my speakers to someone who had never heard a schmackshorn, I usually put a record on that is called "The Bottom End", a direct to disc recording (Miller & Kreisel) featuring furious Drums and a bit femal voice at the end. This is rather impressive and shows very good what horns can do.
;)

Attachments

• schmackstuder.jpg
    schmackstuder.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 114
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.