Hello everyone!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i just want to say hello to everyone and introduce myself to you all... i'm sure i'll be spending alot of time on here and bugging you all to death :D

i started in audio when i was 12 taking apart a pair of computer speakers and making a set of small tower speakers, from there i began messing with the small full range computer speakers and found that if i put them in a big box and used alot of them you could get really big sound dispite the size.

i continued collecting amps and speakers left and right using dozens of speakers at a time in cabinets but always wanting more. When i was 18 my best friend purchased a carver 6250 Holographic Quadrophic stereo amplifier and a pair of Klipsch KG 4.5 tower speakers... and after hearing them became my hero... well he soon tired of them and decided to chase girls and didn't have room for them anymore so he sold the carver and speakers to me for 150.00 :D from there on out i've been addicted to no end.

when moving down to arkansas my parents told me i could have the carport to close in as my own room... under the condition that i soundproof it. XD well it's not soundproof anymore with the addition of a 18" Electro-Voice EVX-18B subwoofer(games and movies)and a Peavey Black Widow 18" (used for music)

Recently the crowning jewel of the system was obtained on Ebay, a carver C-4000 Hologram and Autocoralator pre-amp.

The system now includes:
Sony VPH-1272Q projector,
Sony 1052 Projector,

Amps:
Modded Carver C-4000 pre amp,
Carver 6250 amp for the mains,
Carver TFM-35 power amp for the subs,
Behringer Pro Duel 31 band eq,
Nandy 31 band eq for the subs.

Speakers:
Klipsch KG 4.5 tower speakers for the front,
Yamaha NS-555 towers for the rears,
18" Electro-Voice EVX-18B subwoofer for games and movies.
Peavy Black Widow 18 for music.

Future projects are to upgrade the front main speakers to horns and to make a full length horn sub for ultimate bass. :devilr:

Mods:
so far the only real mod i have done besides cabinets is the new carver C-4000. i'm in the middle of converting the whole system to XLR sheilded interconects and waiting for the store to rest of the custom XLR terminals in monday or tuesday.

Pics...
Photo0018.jpg

Photo0021.jpg

the modded C-4000

P9230043.jpg

P9230044.jpg

P9230046.jpg

P9230047.jpg

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi carvernut,
Welcome to DiyAudio. Enjoy!

I'm sure we will meet in the forums. ;)

A comment. You need at least 4" clear above the receiver and TFM35. This is true for most amps, although some do require 6" or more depending on how hot they run. There are components on the circuit boards that will overheat.

I'm not sure I would have installed XLR connectors in the C-4000. Often, balanced audio connections do not fully deliver. There are times when balanced is required, but they are far and few between in a home setting.

You should also understand that there is often a considerable difference between "conventional wisdom" (what you read and hear about) and reality. Knowing this should keep more dollars in your wallet and your equipment in serviceable condition.

-Chris

anatech said:
Hi carvernut,
Welcome to DiyAudio. Enjoy!

I'm sure we will meet in the forums. ;)

A comment. You need at least 4" clear above the receiver and TFM35. This is true for most amps, although some do require 6" or more depending on how hot they run. There are components on the circuit boards that will overheat.

I'm not sure I would have installed XLR connectors in the C-4000. Often, balanced audio connections do not fully deliver. There are times when balanced is required, but they are far and few between in a home setting.

You should also understand that there is often a considerable difference between "conventional wisdom" (what you read and hear about) and reality. Knowing this should keep more dollars in your wallet and your equipment in serviceable condition.

-Chris

yeah i'm still installing the amps.. i have rack mount panels yet to install thx for telling me to space them though, didn't really think about that.

and for the XLR's i installed them for shielding reasons, although i'm not 100% sure about the diff between balanced and un-balanced conecters. it's setup so the xlr's or rca's can be used... or both at the same time

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi carvernut,
When you space them out, also install a shield to block airflow at the bottom of the next unit. Fresh air in from the front, exhaust out the rear. An angled shield that does this is more efficient than a shelf.

and for the XLR's i installed them for shielding reasons, although i'm not 100% sure about the diff between balanced and un-balanced conecters. it's setup so the xlr's or rca's can be used... or both at the same time
I didn't notice any balancing transformers or circuits in there. Without proper circuitry in place, you will not get the benefit of a balanced line. The matching is very precise between phases and only a small amount of mismatch messes things up a lot.

-Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.