German on a Fullrange Quest - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > Introductions

Introductions Welcome to the DIYaudio Community. Introduce yourself here so we can get to know you better!

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th September 2007, 07:55 PM   #1
Tea42 is offline Tea42  Germany
diyAudio Member

Default German on a Fullrange Quest

Hi all,

eighteen years ago, a friend of mine helped me build my first set of speakers. I asked him about a small set that would fit onto my desk. I was thinking something around 2-3 Liters, but he insisted that he had a great Driver for a 12,5l BR cabinet. So he handed me a number (Fostex FE83) and sent me to a loudspeaker dealer who handed me two unbelievably small boxes.

So I went home and put them into a few sqare ft of chipboard. Hoooked them up to my small Denon amp, which already had turned out to be quite a good recommendation by the aforementioned friend. I could not believe my ears, what amount of bass came out of these two small drivers. The stereo imaging was out of this world (at least for me). They kept my company for several years and never disappointed me.

Many years later I "upgraded" to a Pair of B&W CDM7, which were nice (and still are used in my basement home theatre) but never really satisfied me. Something was just not right.

When I had to do something about living room speakers, I bought a kit for a Tangband coax driver and really liked it, even though the recommended folded TQWT. While reading about speakers on the net, I also came across several web sites dealing with fullrange speakers. Remembering my olf FE83s, which sadly did not survive a move some years ago, I started thinking about the possibilities of building a decent fullrange speaker that would fit into the living room bookshelf. So I put a pair of FE167E into a 9l BR cabinet and started to experiment. I have not had so much fun listening to all my old CDs for years. Still tweaking and plannnig to build a few alternative cabinets.

I live in Karlsruhe in the southwest of Germany, majored in Computer Science, currently working as database guru and consultant.

Other interest include Yo-yos, playing Go and collecting pinball machines, the latter probably being the reason, why my wife is not inclined to grant me another space consuming hobby. :-)

All the best,
Hans
Old 18th September 2007, 12:01 AM   #2
BWRX is offline BWRX  United States
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Hi Hans. Be very careful if you venture into the Full Range section of this site - there are tons of designs for full range drivers just waiting to be built! Particularly, the ever-growing family of Frugal Horns.
Old 18th September 2007, 12:12 AM   #3
BudP is offline BudP  United States
diyAudio Member

Hans

I disagree, venture forth, most especially to Planet 10's phenomenal products (frugal horn and more) and then really get set for some fun by visiting this thread

EnABL Processes

You can find the Planet 10 limks in this thread, especially toward the end of the thread.

And welcome, we are all mad for music around here, along with being polite.

Bud
Old 18th September 2007, 05:32 AM   #4
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Default Re: German on a Fullrange Quest

Quote:
Originally posted by Tea42
(Fostex FE83)....So I put a pair of FE167E into a 9l BR cabinet
There are at least a few of us here seduced by the magic of full range drivers... the 167 will really benefit from a bigger box (and can be tweaked quite far),

dave
Old 18th September 2007, 09:21 PM   #5
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Welcome to the forums Hans. Good luck in your ventures.
Old 19th September 2007, 02:33 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Willkommen, Hans!
Old 20th September 2007, 08:00 AM   #7
Tea42 is offline Tea42  Germany
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the warm welcome.

@dave: Having read so many rave reviews, I got Martins Mathcad sheets yesterday and spent a very enjoyable evening playing around with them. Being a person that only believes what he sees the diagrams are extremely helpful. I see now, why a larger cabinet is preferrable to a smaller one even if both are tuned to the same frequencytuned to the same frequency.

Cheers,
Hans

Hide this!Advertise here!