A new Speaker company, SCANDINAVIAN AUDIO RESEARCH

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A New Loudspeaker Company from the Team that Developed the Scan~ Speak Revelator Line!

I want to introduce you to a NEW speaker company. I am David Stephens; some of you know me. For those of you who do not, I was VP and Director of Sales and Marketing for VIFA and Scan~Speak in North America from 1995-2003. Since then, I have been working in other areas of the industry. Given the recent changes in this industry, some of my former Danish Sound Technology colleagues and I decided start a new venture:

Scandinavian Audio Research (ScAR).

Our team:
Lars Goller (former Director of Engineering at (DST) Danish Sound Technology and Designer of the Revelator and SD series patents); Ulrik Schmidt (Former Scan Speak Senior Engineer); Frank Neilsen (Former DST Senior Mechanical Engineer); Benny Frank Pedersen, Alan Hydel Jensen, Torben Sondergaard (former President of Scan~Speak) and myself.

Our first full OEM and DIY product line, to be sold under the name of
SB Acoustics, will debut at select distributors by December, 2007.

The Line will consist of:
1" soft dome tweeter
4” Midrange
5" Midwoofer
6" Midwoofer
10" Woofer
12" woofer
15" woofer

Each part of these products were newly developed (from scratch) over the past year; these include a new and proprietary cone mixtures, fully optimized, low distortion magnet systems, suspensions and a very trick new chassis design. These products are easily optimized to each client’s needs.

During this year’s 2008 CES, Scandinavain Audio Research will debut a completely new development in high perfomance, cost-no-object tweeters, mids and woofers.

If you have any questions or would like to discuss any of the new products, please contact me. I will be working closely with the distributors and specific OEM customers to promote the succsessful launch of these new products!

Best Regards

David A Stephens
Director
SB ACOUSTICS
262-784-7852

david@sbacoustics.com

www.SBACOUSTICS.com

SBACOUSTICS said:
A New Loudspeaker Company from the Team that Developed the Scan~ Speak Revelator Line!

The Line will consist of:
1" soft dome tweeter
4” Midrange
5" Midwoofer
6" Midwoofer
10" Woofer
12" woofer
15" woofer

David A Stephens
Director
SB ACOUSTICS
262-784-7852

david@sbacoustics.com

www.SBACOUSTICS.com

A few suggestions please:

1. As your products are new, you should start with
giving potential customers an Introductory price, ie
a percentage offf retail price to those who are brave/
willing to try.

2. Keep the transportation cost to a minimun, I am from
Australia!

3. Your website should contain info on speaker design
examples, eg. speakers suitable for open baffle, or
box design, etc.

4. ready made speaker designs or speakers drivers
made available for evaluations by those who have
the capability to do so. eg. Zaph

Cheers.

Hi David,

Sounds like a very promising line-up.

There seems to be a gap in the market between Revelator performance (and pricing) and mid-range performance drivers. If your new lineup can provide revelator performance and undercut the price (but not quality) then you have a winner.

I noticed on the Madisound forum you mentioned Australasia would be catered for. That's good to know as I can only afford so many USD$100 (per shipping!) bills.

Thanks,
David.

HI All

Sorry if this came across as an ad. it was really a notification so when it starts showing up at Distributors you know some back ground and where and who to ask questions too.

I appreciate your comments for marketing the line and we are already working out these issues with the distributors in each region of the world.

since we where able to create these line from scratch. We where able to create updated solutions.to cone geometry, Suspension materials and design. magnet systems. Also we created the entire line at once, not one driver at a time. this gives you more options in creating a line or varitian to your designs.

Sb Acoustics is suppose to be a cost effective line. so it does not have all the Scan Speak tricks. but our design goal was to make a line of products that have a very natural and ope sound character that is easily implemented at an affordable price.

I am working the detals out now on priceing since we are trying to create world wide price. (not as easy as it sounds) But I wanted to create a line of drivers that where acceble to the Diyers, I started there and have always been a supporter of the DIY market. the Line is Not cheap. it is meant to compete head to head with the best in the market at a median price.

The following ScAR Line will debut new Concepts in driver design. that I am certian Most of you will appreciate, (can not please everyone)

Does this replace Scan Speak or Vifa. Never. we are very proud of what we did at Scan Speak and vifa. We do not wish to disrepect that,. We as a group wanted to do HIFI and felt we must continue to grow. So we have created what we feel is the next step.

I am sorry if this sounds like an ad.

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Hi David,

Price is of no issue. If it seems expensive, then I will save up to buy it, buy less of it, or simply choose not to buy it.

I may be poor, but I will refuse to buy a cheap alternative manufactured or assembled in countries where there are unfair wages, systemic corruption, restricted and state-provided media, lack of accountability or transparency of goverrnment, with poor health, education and welfare systems.

I look forward to learning more about ScAR and SB Acoustics...

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I cannot stop to think that you will just design, and order them to be made in China. Is that right? Hence the world wide pricing. COSCO FOB. ;) Please make something in Scandinavia, make it world's best and SENSITIVE, and DIYers will buy it! Especially if you call it the ABBA line.:cool:

P.S. I truly wish I am guessing wrong this time.:bawling:

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Brett said:
You still didn't answer the question.

I was waiting also..

A quick look around this forum will show what you should be doing differently - as Salas mentioned, higher sensitivity. I personally will not buy a driver (anymore) less than 90db (1w, 1m).
Also, the more and more popular open baffle/open box. Drivers specially suited to this alignment would be nice.

Keeping an "ear to the ground" is good, it will give direction if your main thrust is to supply the DIY market.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
SBACOUSTICS said:
Salas

The ScAR line is built in denmark not 30 MILES from the old scan-speak facility. and it is really expensive to do it, but WE do! so buy a lot!!

SB Line is built in Indonesia or Denmark depending on qty and customer preferences. nothing is made in china.

Nice to know about the ScAR line. For SB line I don't know how better is to make them in Indonesia than China, but I am sure they come from a place of better seasides.;) Thanks for the info.

SBACOUSTICS said:
Salas

The ScAR line is built in denmark not 30 MILES from the old scan-speak facility. and it is really expensive to do it, but WE do! so buy a lot!!

SB Line is built in Indonesia or Denmark depending on qty and customer preferences. nothing is made in china.

Keep the production in Europe and stay competitive with Seas while providing more unique products like the others have mentioned.. i.e. drivers designed for open baffle use - and DEFINITELY higher efficiency drivers.

You'll find several reasons for lack of enthusiasm, (putting it mildly), when manufacturing is in South East Asia. Still, you can overcome even that difficulty as long as:

1. You have something that "stands-out" (not as you might view it, but rather as we would.. i.e. that higher efficiency/open baffle thing), AND

2. *Sustained* high levels of quality control.

So what is something that "stands out"?

A good example is driver about to be made by Seas, but not part of their line (..and spec.ed by a DIY'er no less):

The 8" driver (JA8008) under the HES-I design here:

http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/speakertalk.htm

Its not just efficient, its also fairly "wide" in usable bandwidth.

If you can produce a similar driver competitive in price, but with better performance - then you will have the "support" you are looking for. If however you keep doing the same Scan-Speak/Vifa "thing".. then don't expect much (from Diy'ers) - principally because there are just so many alternatives of the same basic thing - regardless of improvements to the motor/suspension/etc..

As Brett was asking - what is truly *DIFFERENT* about your products (..and not simply an improvement of existing basic designs)?

SBACOUSTICS said:
Brett

I promise to give you details soon.
Cool, I'll look forward to it.

I want to echo everything ScottG said in post #17, and add that you'd give yourselves a lot of credibility if you publish comprehensive specs on your drivers, including distortion (2H and 3H at a decent level), CSD and power compression. We can also live without 'smoothed' frequency response curves. All the best, but you have a tough audience here.

i'm certainly TOTALLY not in the line with most of the comments here but lets roll

i do not particularly want high sensivity drivers, of course it may be cool for some people, but as i'm living in a city i'm not particularly eager to design enormous systems.

it seems to be kind of a trend here at diyaudio though, even if i don't really understand the why, even after listening to high sensivity systems.

I'd be more interrested into the scar line though i think , the SB line looks very interresting, but you certainly have a lot of competition, between the new prestige drivers from SEAS, exclusive line from peerless and offerings from USHER.

but i'm very very curious about what you're gonna come with on the SCAR line, especially with your impressive resumé.

i bet we can already expect "sd like" motors for both lines, and that's very good. What kind of cone mixture is gonna be used in SB line though ?

and also , is there a release date for the scar line ?

good luck and thanks !

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.