Hello from Michigan!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,
I am a controls engineer in Michigan. I have been interested in diy speaker building on and off for the last 8 years. Back in 2000 I got started with a couple of kits from BESL, the Model 1.2 monitors and two CSX subs for stands. From the start I had wanted to eventually design my own speakers. Mid 2001 I purchased SoundEasy and Loudspeaker Lab 2 for design and measurement. I designed and built a pair of monitors to replace my 1.2's using Scan-Speak 9500 tweeter and Audax HM170Z18 midbass. The first pass at the crossover came out measuring really flat but sounded not so great. The upper midrange to lower treble was much too loud. It had an "in your face" treble but didn't seem to have a lot of high frequency extention. That's right around the time I got busy with things like getting married. :) The new speakers sat in the closet for the next few years. :(

Recently I worked up the enthusiasm to cobble up the crossovers again and try some tweaking. Using the parametric Eq in my trusty Emu 1212m soundcard I tried some modification to the frequency response. I added a BBC dip around 3kHz and a slight depression at 8kHz. Wow! This was exactly how I wanted them to sound from the start! At this point I'm experimenting with the recreation of this response in the passive crossover. I'm also interested in trying out digital crossovers since they're so much easier to tweak than passive and potentially could sound much better.
Dan

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.