Introduction

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I would like to take this opportunity to introduce myself.

Back in my college days I was an Electrical Engineer and took audio stuff seriously. A frat house friend sold me a pair of Dynaco 70 monoblocks that I used for several years. I sold these to finance a Dynaco ST-150 which I built. This Amp has survived until the present, but I still rgret selling off the Dynaco 70 monoblocks. During this time in Pitsburg, I had the opportunity to work at a high end stereo house, listening to a set of Quad 63?s and a bunch of other stuff I cant remember in a room designed for audio (no parallel surfaces) big enough fro string quartets to rent for recording purposes. I collected what any normal stereo enthusiast would have collected at this point in time (based on a "college" students budget). At his point in time, I had a Dynaco Pas3, FM5, ST-150, and a turntable of name I cant remember, with a tonearm that pivoted about 1.7" from the needle. Something about vestigle is remembered, but lettil else other than it wcould track a warped record at 0.3 gr force with a sure mid-range cartrige.

10 years later After I got rid of the first wife in the early 1980s, I upgraded my stereo components. Over the course of a year or two, I settled on a Audio Research SP-8 preamp, ModSquad CD player, Dual turn table, Ortofon HO MC cartrige, and a pair of Martin Logan CLS speakers, retaining the venerable ST-150.

A few years later, I moved into a house that simply did not have a room where the stereo would sound better than a boom box. So the listening was put on the back burner, and the equiptment aged as did the ears.

Zooming into the present, A couple of months ago we moved into a house that DOES have a room just perfect for listening (12' high, 17' wide, 55' long). So an an going about the business of setting up the system and getting it optimized as the rest of the house comes together. However, the turntable is becomming problematic stopping occasionally for no apparent reason (motor or power supply), and the CD player is reading puttons that are not being pushed, which makes for interesting use. I'm going to research the failing stuff with 90% probability of simply replacing it.

Anyway, nice to find a supportinve group on the net.

Cheers. :)

Mitch

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.