Greetings from Goffstown, NH

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Welcome from southern New Hampshire, USA. My name is John, and I am about an hour north and west of Boston near the beautiful White Mountains where I teach college. It is exciting to have an English-language forum like this to talk with like-minded people from around the world.

I have been reading around in DIY Audio Forums for several months. I have decided to join, because I recently bought a Zhaolu D2.0 DAC that I wish to upgrade, and frankly I need help. At the moment I don't know an Opamp from a capacitor. Any advice will be welcome. Thanks.

-jb

Welcome John!
I'm just north of you in Weare. I joined the forum while researching DIY speakers. You'll find a trove of information and helpful DIY'ers.
As an electroinic technician by trade, I'd be happy to assist where possible. Good luck on your projects!
- Rob :cool:

Thanks, Rob. I see you also came out to NH from the midwest. It's nice, isn't it? Esp. when it rains and the rivers start to rise!

First question: Can you recommend any good "dummies" literature on diy electronics, esp. something that might help me figure out how to replace the capacitors and opamps on my Zhaolu DAC (but later on speakers!)? I have been reading the threads, but what I need is something more step-by-step with photos and big arrows saying, "This is a capacitor."

The rising rivers only affect the ride home; we're on high ground out this way! Honestly I could do without an interstate highway commute everyday.

So you need a good read, eh? Nothing specific, but pick up a basic electronics book from the library. I think one should start with theory and gain insight into design principles. Then you'll understand the changes you are contemplating.

A book won't give you necessary hands on experience, which I recommend before ripping apart your DAC. For that, you'll want to watch & learn, or tool up and practice component removal and replacement on a scrap circuit board.
- Rob

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.