Another Newcomer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all.

I live in London, and am a hopeless valve addict; my little flat is stuffed with boxes of valves and other audio/electronic junk and test gear etc.

Although I have been interested all my life (well since I was about 3) the madness took over only about six years ago. I have a variety of amplifiers that I have built using wherever possible fairly obscure valves.

I listen mostly to classical music, organ especially, so my transmission lines are very important. I partucuary like vinyl although there is work to be done in that department.

7N7

Welcome,

Ah, are you the famous 7N7 from "the other lot"?
It you are, you'll find it a bit more lively here! Lot's of near "real-time" interaction.

The Tube Forum is very busy from time to time, and seems to wake up around 23:00 GMT. So you can have a skinfull first :xeye: if that's your way..:D

Cheers,

PS Even if you're an "new" :angel: 7N7, you're still welcome.

dhaen said:
Welcome,

Ah, are you the famous 7N7 from "the other lot"?
It you are, you'll find it a bit more lively here! Lot's of near "real-time" interaction.

Thank you very much for your kind and welcoming words. I had not realised that I was famous, but yes I am THAT 7N7.:D

I look forward to some lively discussions; for anyone else who reads this, you will see that I am perhaps more measuring than "listening" but I am a music-lover:angel:

Best wishes to all

7N7

Re: LONDON CALLING.

fdegrove said:
Hi,

Seems you come highly recommended...:D

Hope to read you soon...I need an adversary or two.:angel:

Damn...do I miss the U.K days...:bawling:

Teach us,;)

Ooh! Bloody Hell!:eek:

Well perhaps you haven't seen the ruckus I caused somewhere else: I just got utterly fed up with people discussing the sound of getters, and (here we go - flame-proof suits and fire-extinguishers at the ready) droning on about which 12AU7 sounds the best. :bawling:

Nevertheless, I am always careful never to make my points personal, even though others have. Naughty that, I think.

I'll try to think of something to post soon; you'll probably find me only in the "Tubes" department as I have very little to say about loudspeakers etc.

I suppose I must behave as I am new here! ;)

7N7

pinkmouse said:
Hi 7N7 and welcome:)

We might have met, I popped in to the pub for the november meet, spent most of the night chatting to Jack about his Monster TL subs at the bar!:drink:

Hello and thanks.

Er, I have to admit my memory is pathetic. I like that feature you added; as well as big bass, Jack enjoys a Guiness!

7N7

Re: Re: Another Newcomer

planet10 said:

Welcome 7N7

And even thou you say you have little to say in the way of speakers, i do have to ask about your TLs :D

dave

Hello.

The TLs are ancient; they were built in the early 1970s and are a modified Hi=Fi Answers Design, but similar in principle to the Cambridge R50. I use them only for the bass they can provide, the other units have either been removed or disconnected.

It's all part of the plan (ho-ho) I have Jordan JX92s, I have built a pair of cabs for these, but one is not complete and the other in "evaluation" format. They are semi-elliptical in section and made from two layers of thin aluminium filled with expanding foam. Top and bottom is MDF with the front panel being MDF and lead. I should add that a friend came up with this concept.

I have some Kelly ribbons, but am using a pair of NEOs instead.

The plan is ultimately to tri-amp (= more valves, and fewer nasty reactive things like capacitors and inductors) it being sort of bi-amp at present. But there's a lot to do first.

All the best

7N7

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
Hello 7N7

Hello 7N7 and everyone else.

I too, am a newbie, and found this forum because it seems to have a good Speakers Corner. Although I'm mostly interested in valves, I've also built pick-up arms (which work well), transmission line loudspeakers with valve active crossovers (they're OK too), and electrostatic headphones (they once caught fire). I now use commercial E/S headphones...

Does anyone know why "tube-rollers" are called that?

Re: Hello 7N7

EC8010 said:
Hello 7N7 and everyone else.

and electrostatic headphones (they once caught fire).
Does anyone know why "tube-rollers" are called that?

EC8010: A superior triode indeed

Were you wearing the cans when they "combusted"?:bigeyes:

As for the tube-rollers, perhaps it's something to do with beer/vodka/scotch/alcopops?:xeye:

7N7

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.