Fender push pull amp... using one tube only.. is it dangerous?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a Fender Prosonic amp. This may be a dumb quesetion.. But it sounds better with using just one output tube. Is this going to damage the transformer?

I'm not really worried about hurting tubes.. but I am concerned about the transformer.

It just sounds better, probably because i can turn it up louder.

Just curious..
Aaron

You will destroy the transformer! I don't remember the exact reason why. I had an old Airline (montgomery wards) radio with P-P 6K6's one went dead at one point in its life, and the previous owner continued to run the radio until one half of the primary opened up.

Edit:
Also if it doesn't sound good with both tubes in, then maybe it time to check to see if both tubes are matched, and check the bias

I figured it was bad. It does not sound bad at all with both tubes. It's just a VERY loud amp. I think I'm going to get a set of those yellow jackets to quiet it down some. Every amp I have was given to me.. I don't have any happy mediums between 15 watts and 60-100 watts. I really need a nice 30- watter.

Taking one tube out didnt cut the power in half, but it just allowed me to turn the volume up enough to eliminate that "on/off" volume control. Every fender I've ever had in that higher power range has that. They have three settings, off, loud, and distortion.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.