how to attenuate a speaker as a mic?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I want to make something like the Yamaha Subkick microphone for recording my bass-drum. Check it out here .
It's very simple, wire the speaker terminals + and - to the hot and cold terminals if a mic socket and mount it somehow.
The main problem I anticipate after googling a bit is that the output will be very high and needs to be attenuated. I've also looked at that but all the information I find assumes you are working with mic impedances (around 600 ohms I think).
Can anyone tell me how to calculate say 10dB or 20dB attenuation given that the speaker has an impedance of 8 ohms (source) and my mixer is at about 2.6k ohms (input)?

Put a 100R pot across the speaker with the centre pin going to the preamp. (and groundy end!)

Adjust for correct volume then either leave the pot in place or measure the up and down sections resistance and replace pot with two resistors.

Precision and excessive concern over the sound is not really appropriate here.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.