Just bought a new guitar

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey guys, I was wondering what you thought, I just recently bought this guitar. Supposed to be here Saturday. I'm excited, I really liked the way Phill makes his guitars. The styles are a bit strange, but I prefer form over function. I was so unhappy with the Gibsons I own, and I couldn't find a new PRS I liked. I looked at tons of guitars, and this, especially for the price, just looked very intresting.

amca1fr.gif

No I don't mind the price, I think it was a bargain. That guitar is from Phil Gawen at www.phigaguitars.com. He makes really nice guitars for the money. I payed 1200 dollars shipped for that guitar. He saves money on his guitars by using mostly korean made hardware, making the hardware himself, and winding his own pickups. I have to say though, don't be turned off by the idea of korean made hardware, I own both, and often the korean stuff is as good or better for less money. Anymore the big names are often making junk for tuners and bridges. I have Gotoh's on my Gibson, which are among the best for the money I have used, and these no-names on my Phiga are good as well, they are a lacking style that work wonderful, and hold a great tune.

The sharp corners are actually slightly rounded over and aren't sharp at all. Its a very figured guitar with a great deal of shaping to the top of it, but its very comfortable to play. I'm not overly concerned with damage, but I also take maticulous care of my guitars.

The pickups are nice, he winds them himself. I'm not 100% sold on them yet, but they sound better than most of the import pickups I have heard. I also like them better than current Gibson PAFs. They are of the higher output modern nature, and I've always been a bit of a vintage fan myself. I'm undecided, but I might try one vintage wound humbucker in the neck position later on to give me the ability to have atleast one more mellow setup. I haven't played the guitar enough to know it needs that.

It's quite a bargain for such a jewel, but I pay more for drum stuff because I prefer playing drums.. But at home I play guitar, The attached picture shows my humble "music man" clone.

I borrowed a guitar for a while from a friend in the past, I really loved it it was a Hondo. A Gibson epiphone copy with smooth jazz strings, very nice sound and good "feel" to it. My present guitar feels to small in many ways.

I've read that Chinese and Taiwanese guitars are excellent quality these days. The really mastered it, mostly producing with high precision computer controlled machining.

Attachments

• gitaar.jpg
    gitaar.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 123
I like the neck inlays, kinda reminds me of "Crop Circles".

About the same price as my "used" Custom Shop Strat.

This guy bought it brand new & after a couple days decided he wanted something else. It was absolutely brand new condition when I bought it.

Attachments

• mvc-034s.jpg
    mvc-034s.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 115
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.