Adding Bias Check Points Question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a question about adding bias check points to my homebrew amp.

Basically, I already have an adjustment pot in place, But I am only able to determine a -V reading at that point.

Snooping around a bit I see that a very common way to add test points is by adding a 1 ohm resistor to the power tube cathodes.

I drew up how I think it goes, But my question is 2 fold,
#1, Can I just leave these resistors in place and add test point jacks for my meter.
#2, Is the attached schematic correct or workable?

The MV reading on the meter should represent the MA reading within a couple MA?

Bias Points

Trout

mind the power rating of the resistor. At least double whatever the numbers say will be dissipated by it.

high voltage bites even from a distance, mind what you are doing !

beware of system instability. Simulate if possible, measure if not.

I don't know too much about toobz but unless something crazy is going on, that looks like it might be ok. If you lose too much power in that resistor, try a lower value and maybe an x10 opamp to scale.

The Resistor rating was another question, I have seen on a few guitar bias instruction sites saying 3W and others saying 6W.

I know there are a few bias tools out there, $75.00-$200.00 depending on brand and model.

What I gathered is basically its just a couple sockets set up to go between the tube and chassis.Then Measure MV across the cathode resistor.

I figured it easier to just add it to the unit with some suitable jacks to accept my multimeter probes.

I am fairly good at building the things, But I have learned to well to ask lots of questions rather than burn up a perfectly good build.

Here's pictures of the unit, Its pretty much a work in process.

Prototype KT77 Amp

The whole reason for this is because I let a bud borrow the unit while his amp was out for warranty service, He ran it fairly hard for about 2 hours and blew a fuse.

I had a 2A fuse in the unit which is basically borderline, Original vintage schematic calls for 3A.
I have run the amp for 20-30 hours but never near wide open continuous for more than an hour plus like he did. ( To hard on the ears).
I figure perhaps its biased a tad hot for the KT77's and would like to get a better handle on where it is. Since (Ducking from Poobah) I still have not gotten a scope, I really can not opt to set it based on crossover distortion.

I realize there is a happy zone that spans several ma and would like to be able to monitor the setting occasionally to get better life from the tubes.

Trout

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.