magnet+coil pickups, piezo pickups and Roland GK-2 midi, how does the output differ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I understand how a magnet and coil pickup works, I understand how piezo saddle pickups work. I want to passibly make something to work with an AXOM guitar to midi convertor box. IIRC the unit reads from a Roland GK2 midi pickup which is basically a filtered minature humbucker with seperate coils for each string, a 13pin din which has the outputs for each string and a common earth on seperate pins, ±7v power, a couple of selector switches and a guitar output (from the traditional pickups IIRC). So does anyone know anything about the roland unit, could I just wind a pickup with seperate coils for each string and possibly use that, then could I take that one step further and use seperate piezo saddles (to use with a nylon strung acoustic)?

does anyone know more about these units than me and can offer any help.

I suppose you could wind your own pickups if you really feel comfortable doing this, but you'll also need to buffer and
signal-condition the individual pickup outputs.

Attached is a schematic for a Roland G20 interface.

I decided to save time by purchasing the interface hardware.
After all, just modifying one's instrument takes a lot of time.

I use the GraphTech GHOST Hexpander/Acoustiphonic system,
including a Hipshot piezo bass bridge. The tracking is very
good via my Yamaha G50 (same technology as AXON), especially cosidering this a 5-string fretless.

If you want to hear a sample MP3, vist:
http://www.brandxmusic.org, and navigate to AUDIO/MICK.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.