DIY guitar amplifier cabinet

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I was looking at some 4x12" marshall cabinets recently and I realized how simply they are built. Furthermore, I consider that bolting 4 speakers into a square box shouldn't give the best audio performances.

Considering Celestion's speaker frequency range (about 75Hz-5kHz), the air column should be more than a meter long.

Therefore, my goal is to build a 1x12" (maybe 2x12") cabinet for my 100W combo marshall. I'm new to loudspeaker building and I would need someone to set my on track. What should I read? What software should I use? etc.

best regards,
Gabriel

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Hi Gabriel

Guitar speakers are not designed to give a flat even response, and if they do so it's purely accidental!

Guitar is all about tone, and this is achieved by drastic EQing, peaky speakers, amp overdrive and cone breakup, all anathema to Hi-Fi.

Thus there is no real software that can be used to calculate this, it is all a matter of doing things by ear.

Yes, Marshall cabs are simple, but they have been the sound of rock for over 30 years, and if that is the sound you are after, then just clone one, and this will work well with your idea of a 2x12" cab. Other than that, most smaller combo amps use open backed cabs, so if you prefer the sound of a Fender Twin, for instance, thats the way you should be going!

You will find that most good music stores will supply replacement speakers for any of the reputable makes of amp, as guitarists have a habit of blowing them up, so any copy you make could use origional speakers as well, ( although this may be more expensive than rolling your own)

So, go out and listen to guitar amps and boxes you like, take some seruptitious measurements of your favorite, and make a clone;)

hi,,,,,,,,,
I'm also a guitarist that uses combo amps ( two in my stage rig)
And also was caught in the quandry over adding a 4x12 into the mix, mainly to cut down the feedback from the microphones due to the open back combos......( but then i remembered lugging those monsters around !!!!!!!!!!) (UGH!):att'n:
I finally decided to measure the cabinet space of the combo and build a non ported copy....it also can be used to elevate your existing combo,,,,(well there are several ways to use them )
Any way, hope you figure things out....as usual in the music arena there are a vast array of choices..........
Good luck!

Just one point you will generaly want to make open backed cabinet. Thsi is to prevented peaky bass respons wich make guitar sound weird.

Althought that some sealed configuration could sound good but...

And thus the best configuration is actually bolting 4 speaker in a box.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.