distortion pedal recomendations please

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi,
first of all, i'm not a guitarist.
i love listening to music but never played it seriously. a friend of mine is in the same situation, but now he is starting to play guitar.
his gear is a cheap electric guitar, a hi fi AMP, and a guitar speaker built by me.
with this set up he gets an acceptable clean sound to start with (and we connected a good fender guitar to it and the sound was really good and clean).
but he happens to like thrash metal! :hot:
so, clean sound is not what he is after.
i have knowledge in electronics, but know nothing about distortion pedal models.
the question is:
what distortion pedal would you advice me to build for him to play thrash metal? if you have any schematics, pcb, or transistor recomendation about a model, please post them.
thanks a lot!

and something else,
the guitar is currently connected to the amp through its "mic in" jack.
with a pedal added, it should be connected through its "line in" jack, shouldn't it? thanks again.

try to find the extreme tone from bad cat... it has a good gains and a terrible high gain. it has a good tone stack ( but pleople just don't know how to uze it. ) it is a all tube distorsion pedal.

or go to duncan amp's and find the mc tube distorcion.

with an transistor amp i would sound no better than many amps out there...
but is wont sound bad.

if he like... try tube screamer TS9. its simple. cheap. and it will work.

connect to line in if you like. it had less gain but with and pedal like extreme tone it will do.

or try a matchless and put more gain on it...

IF you want to buy something for thrash metal - get the line6 Uber Metal pedal. If your friend's guitar is a Strat with single coil pickups, he is going to need a different guitar or swap out that bridge single coil for a humbucker. Your not going to get much of a thrash metal sound from a single coil pickup.

it`s quite hard to build a good guitar chain from guitar to speakers, `cause every element is as important as all the others, that is, if he hasn`t got at least a guitar of reasonable quality, it`s realy hard, I tell ya... but there are tons of schematics for diy dist. pedal. but you`ll have to try playing with the values like caps and resistrors. Don`t try to build some supreme hi gain pedal if your friend has got a cheap guitar with three single coils at any price, it would be more for the bad side.
For thrash (and simmilar) metal styles first you have to get good gain on hi frequences of the guitar right on the beggining and get rid of the deepest freqs via small foil coupling cap ( try to build a simple guitar buffer and install it right into the guitar - a 9V battery will do).
If you build that with a good (clean) gain, you can use a simple overdrive pedal like forementioned Tube Screamer. Sounds quite good, although I don`t use it. Try to look at some of these (http://www.mif.pg.gda.pl/homepages/tom/schematics.htm#Fx).
Even it is a polish site, for a simple stomp box will do.
If you have iron nervers, try to redraw the schematic in a cad (like eagle) and let it make a pcb.
remember, that a good sound (and psychicaly with enhaced distortion) is also a use of good guitar speaker ( hope he doesn`t use the hifi speakers), as it naturaly rolls off the highest frequencies so they don`t affect the sound badly.
try to play with the setup to get more like cruchy sound rather than a vintage fuzz, that`s what metal characterize - hi gain crunch.
Also, when he will learn to play faster, he should use less gain to get the guitar more understandable and obvious.
Maybe all this is for nothing for you, but that`s how I started to build amps: first to get a good boost straight from guitar on hi frequences to make shure tha signal could overdrive an amps input stage with the right frequences (remeber to get rid of lo frequences, to avoid blubby and buzzy sound character, sometimes good for blues solos)
Make shure your friend don`t overdrive the poweramp input, usualy line in should avoid it, but adjust the volume of the pedal just before hard clipping of the PA, to avoid forementioned buzzy sound and less hiss (as he woudn`t set the amp to the max even if the stomp box volume is set to 9 o`clock).
BTW, a good source of schematics for simple boosters is generalguitargadgets.com and geofex.com). Maybe you find a suitable stomp box for your friend or even an inspiration to design your own...the more time you spend with it, the more things you learn

thanks a lot to everyone! i was away from the forums for a while, so i am cathching up with all this information at the moment.

jaja, si loco, estamos copando el diy.
y me la re banco, pero es complicarme al pedo por ahora. queria algo que suene a thrash y nada mas. bastante cuadrado el flaco. tengo un fuzz face casero que me encanta, pero el quiere otra cosa. sabes de alguno bien simplon que suene a pantera o slayer?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.