ProCo Rat DIY Not Too Successful

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I built the following circuit without the two FETs, (as i cannot find any and don't know of a equivelent) I'm in the UK it's ****.

http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/diagrams/rodentsc.gif

I tried (as the site suggested) a TL061 & TL071 just to test the circuit. The 71 just sounded clean no matter the pot config. the 61 couldn't be more in opposition. It sounded dead fuzzzy. The wierd thing is though, when i turn down the volume or treble control in my telecaster i got this horrible buzzing through the amp. With the 61 the guitar needed to be struck pretty hard for any sound to come through. My only alteration was removing the 2 FETs and swapping the 30pF capacitor with two 15pF ceramic capacitors in parallel.

I've build a hand full of RAT clones .. also whitout the input or output buffers..the opamp should really be the LM308 .. it's a low power (300uA?) and low slew rate opamp that makes it sound so typical .. really a TL071 won't give you the sound .. you really need a low slewrate for that sound

They should work fine.. check you circuit again... did you bias the input at 4,5 Volts?...

orson198305 said:
I built the following circuit without the two FETs, (as i cannot find any and don't know of a equivelent) I'm in the UK it's ****.

I've never bought anything from them before, but here's an ecommerce company out of London that has a good selection of FET's, including the 2N5458, might be worth checking out. Mark V

for valve amp stuff check out AmpMaker

cheers,
daniel

Thanks for that, i can see myself using that site in the future, i managed to build the switching system with a standard npn transistor, just had to tweek the resistors. I also bought a bogstandard FET to replace the 5458, it's a little loud due to this fact but, better than nothing. I wonder why there's been so much hassel about the millenium switching circuit. The earlier rats suffered from very dim led's, surely the proco engineers are better than that?

the real proco RAT opmp uses just 300uA of current, the LED are obviously disigned to be dimm, as it saves power... the RAT not only sounds very good, is it goes a long way on one battery..

then again, I have a second generation RAT, and the led is dimm when switched off, and quite bright when switched on....

grzz,
Thijs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.