Soldering the pot on a Fender Telecaster

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

My son has just bought a used Fender Telecaster. It had a loose potmeter and hummed. I removed the lid with the pot meters and tightened the loose potmeter. I saw, however, that this potmeter also had some suspicious soldering on the chassis (see the attached picture). Is this how this potmeter should be soldered? I suppose it is some sort of grounding. I cannot see any lug on the pot for this kind of soldering. Help anyone?

best wishes
Jan Ove Tangen

Attachments

• fender 012z.jpg
    fender 012z.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 206
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Jan,
This doesn't look like the nicest soldering job but if the wire connects the pot with ground or chassis and the Telecaster plays well without hum, leave it. Touch the metal shaft of the pot when the guitar is plugged in and listen for any hum or noise. If all is fine, enjoy playing it.

/Hugo

It looks ugly, but is common enough. There are a lot of ground/common wires from various places in the guitar and they all must connect together somewhere. Grounding the covers of the pots also reduces noises, so the pot body is a convenient place to do this. DOn't worry about it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.