I could use some help with this Coronado II bass

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I recently purchased a Fender Coronado II. The previous owner said it’s fully working except for a frozen pot! And indeed the only thing wrong about this bass is the certain pot that doesn’t move a bit!

I’d like to replace it with a new one but I seem to find difficulty as to how such an effort can be accomplished! I mean how can I replace the pots? If I unscrew them will they fall in the body as the pickup switch or not? I unscrewed the pickup switch and I managed to dig it out after a lot of effort. Will the same thing happen with the pots?

Any help???

spirus said:
I’d like to replace it with a new one but I seem to find difficulty as to how such an effort can be accomplished! I mean how can I replace the pots? If I unscrew them will they fall in the body as the pickup switch or not? I unscrewed the pickup switch and I managed to dig it out after a lot of effort. Will the same thing happen with the pots?

Yes, they will fall in. Basically, with these types of instruments, you need to either work through the f-hole, or for major work, actually remove the top! Luthiers have all kinds of nifty tools made up for this purpose.

This repair isn't for the non-handy or the faint of heart, but I would go through with it. Be prepared to actually have to undo more than just that 1 pot to get enough play to bring the wires out through the f-hole. I suggest you do a big web search on DIY repair of semi-hollowbodies.

I Replaced a few F Body pots with a fairly simple tool.

I got some silicon fuel tubing from my local hobby shop, Pressed it over the shaft of the pot and snaked it through. I beleive it was large aerotrend brand, Very Firm made for press fit fuel connections.

I was just able to slide the nut over the tubing after attacked. I had a 5 ft peice, I left it hanging in the cut out and used it to pull the new pot back in.

It worked, Simple, But Scarey
:D

may god help me...

so after all, what I most fear is true...
this should be one of the most daring replacements I have to make!
I don't think the luthier idea is as good as it sounds ...
i fear they might end up damaging the instrument and then what should I do? take their heads off?
i will probably try to find a way pull the pot through the pickup hole but first have it tighten to a string that I can pull back with a new pot!
thank you so much guys...
hopefully i will accomplish my mission in less than an hour....
best regards...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.