Looking for a DIY PA system for my sons Garage Band

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Buy something cheap, reliable and servicable secondhand to get them going. Buy well and don't destroy it and you'll sell it later for little or no loss. Unless you have a really particular spec, you'll never beat SH commercial stuff on a $/value basis.
Then, work out what the spec of the gear is you want, which may change somewhat as the band evolves, and start buying/borrowing drivers and experimenting.

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Brett is right IMHO

The speakers might be worth it- I felt the effort was worthwhile because they ones I made sound quite good, and totally unstressed by high output. We like to make stuff here, and making the speakers wasn't very hard, and was a good team project for my son and me. And his gratitude was :) . Getting used drivers might be something to look into.

Certainly a mixer and amp, together or separate, can't be built close to as cheaply (or as reliably probably) as a manufactured unit. Probably NOT a good plan.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.