Guitar help please!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well, I've been playing guitar for almost 6 years now and in the past year I've gotten pretty damn good. Unfourtunatly, the main thing I've mastered is difficult riffs and moderately difficult solos.

I've got an Ibanez GRX20 guitar playing on a Behringer amp. The amp sounds great but the guitar just seems to be lacking the feel of soloing... all solos I play just sound different then what I think it should sound like.
I'm looking into buying a new guitar (Possibly a Gibson SG) and I was mostly wondering if possibly the strings I'm using could be effecting the sound quality of my soloing attempts. Whats a good gauge string for difficult solos?

If this is a foolish question then I gotta apologize. I know alot about guitar considering my dad has played for close to 35 years now and I learn everything from him, but there's still ALOT I need to learn. Help me out guys.
Thanks alot!

Obviously the type of guitar will affect the sound, as will the strings and the amplifier - but if your dad has been playing for 35 years he should be able to advise you?.

From what I've seen, chasing a particular 'sound' is very illusive, mostly it's down to the original artist been a damn good guitarist!. Give a good guitarist any kind of guitar and it will sound brilliant, give a poor guitarist the best guitar in the world and it will sound poor.

Guitar choice depends greatly on your style and type of music, Gibson SG's are very much a rock and heavy metal guitar.

I am a really horrible guitrist but I do know that:

3) High volume in close proximity the guitar.

is really true ... you really need that aucoustic energy feeding back your guitar body to get that sustain and tone ...

besides that .. once I made a simple smaal pracise amp with a famous " dual rectifier " preamp and a SE EL84 output .. nothing really compared to it, no effects or other solid state amp could compare.. try a tube amp.. even a Fender new generation champ sound nice..

I don't know why I forgot to mention the kind of music I play.. sorry about that! I do play mostly anything between rock and heavy metal.

My dad could advise me, but he's mostly into acoustic. He's never played much electric.

I'll go out and grab some new strings, play some stuff, and post back progress.

Thanks alot for the help

There ar excellent solid state amps, but I agree that the dynamics of the tube amp are better to most ears.

Strings might make soime difference, but certainly the pickups wil make a world of difference more than strings. There are single coils, there are humbuckers, there are active pickups. And within those groups there are many choices, not all sounding alike at all.

You might try some boost pedals - a little overdrive for extra edge, or just an EQ pedal set for a bit of extra level straight across, or maybe adding a touch of upper mids. OD or boost pedal in front of hte amp, EQ pedal either in front or in the effects loop. These things make the guitar stand out a bit more for solos.

How are your pickups set up? Are they really close to the strings or is there a sensible space between. I have been told that positioning them too close can give a dead sound due to magnetic damping.

Speaking of Gibson SGs, good choice. I have an original '65 Standard with Lyre tailpiece. (Owned by Mick Abrahams of Blodwyn Pig before I bought it in '69). Wouldn't swap it for anything.

Whats a good gauge string for difficult solos?
I prefer lighter gauge for more sustain and ease.

I was mostly wondering if possibly the strings I'm using could be effecting the sound quality of my soloing
Strings, as everything else, are important but not THAT MUCH (in my opinion). I doubt replacing them will significantly improve your sound and soloing.

I've got an Ibanez GRX20 guitar playing on a Behringer amp
I've suspect these have horrible pickups. Check if they are any reviews on www.harmonycentral.com. Getting another guitar or at least replacing your pickups I think will be a step in the right direction. I like Ibanez RG350 and Jackson DK2 which are much better guitars and not expensive either.

I do play mostly anything between rock and heavy metal
For ROCK music you won't get away without TUBES. Nothing compares to the distortion of tubes - I've tried all kinds of effect pedals, processors, simulators, and such...all sound like xxxx". get a tube amp or at least a tube distortion.

Good luck

I agree with Pete that: "the sound comes from your FINGERS...".
I have a colegue who plays Fender Startocater and has a Marshall valve amp. He sounds great (like Jimi Hendrix) but he can also play on Squire and Line6 (with almost the same results). He does not change the strings too often. Other people who try the same equipment do no sound that good.
I noticed the same issue with bass players. Many of then are buying a new equipment (thinking that they will sound better). But I know a guy who sounds great with any amp (costing ~200$). So again: FINGERS, FINGERS, ATTACK, FINGERS.....

Marek

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.