Behringer A500 as a DIY project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It lives!

This is an old thread but still a good one and it reminds me that many of you in other countries won't have got to hear about a discovery we made here in the UK concerning the A500.

Quite simply, it's performance improves dramatically when bi-amped. This of course assumes that your speakers are bi-amp capable. The main improvement was in 'boogie factor'. The A500 suddenly discovers 'rhythym' and 'groove' when bi-amped.

It lives!

This is an old thread but still a good one and it reminds me that many of you in other countries won't have got to hear about a discovery we made here in the UK concerning the A500.

Quite simply, it's performance improves dramatically when bi-amped. This of course assumes that your speakers are bi-amp capable. The main improvement was in 'boogie factor'. The A500 suddenly discovers 'rhythym' and 'groove' when bi-amped.

Hi,

can you be more specific?What do you mean by bi-amped? You can't bi-amp
an amplifier!!!

B.L

2. There are 2 op-amps in each channel. They are for receiving balance signal, converting them into single path for volume control. Behringer uses JRC4558 with a slew rate of only 1V/us. I have changed all op-amp in both channel to Burr Brown OPA2134. OPA2134 has slew rate of 20V/us, wider bandwidth (8Mhz), and lower noise. The result is quieter, faster and clearer high ends.

Hi there,

I know this is an old thread, but hopefully I can get some help.. :eek:

I've just performed the above mod on one channel of my A500. I was unable to get the OP2134, so I went for the LM4562-MA thinking that would also be compatible
It hasn't worked!! The speaker "pulsates" with a loud humming noise. As you turn up the volume pot you can hear the music getting louder but it's very distorted and the pulsating and humming gets louder to!!

I'm no expert on this matter but I imagine the LM4562 is not a straight drop in replacement like the older OP2134 is??

Is there any modifications I need to make to the surrounding components to make the LM4562 work in this circuit?? Or is there a newer better version of the OP2134 that would be a straight drop in replacement??

Cheers..
Murphy

Hi all!
I noticed that Hi-fi World had measured a lot of old-fasioned crossover distortion on this amp. Any idea if it is feasible to crank up quiscent current on this amp?
Rgds

I know that there are many factors which result in quality sound or the opposite, but in a blind A/B/X level-balanced test of several studio/PA amps, an amp measuring 3% crossover distortion had a noticeably inferior stereo dimension and overall less interesting character than the rest.

I don't know if "this equals that", but in case it does, there it is.

Last edited:
Hi there,

I know this is an old thread, but hopefully I can get some help.. :eek:

I've just performed the above mod on one channel of my A500. I was unable to get the OP2134, so I went for the LM4562-MA thinking that would also be compatible
It hasn't worked!! The speaker "pulsates" with a loud humming noise. As you turn up the volume pot you can hear the music getting louder but it's very distorted and the pulsating and humming gets louder to!!

I'm no expert on this matter but I imagine the LM4562 is not a straight drop in replacement like the older OP2134 is??

Is there any modifications I need to make to the surrounding components to make the LM4562 work in this circuit?? Or is there a newer better version of the OP2134 that would be a straight drop in replacement??

Cheers..
Murphy

Ok, So not much feedback about my op amp dilema :confused:

I was studying the circuits for the A500, and I'm now wondering if it's easier/possible/better to actually bypass the input stage (remove both Op amps and C53) and inject the signal directly to the junction of C19 & R65?? I am driving the A500 with a DCX2496 using J Didden's active i/o mod..

a500.JPG

Any thoughts will be appreciated..

Cheers..

Ok, So not much feedback about my op amp dilema :confused: (see previous post)

I was studying the circuits for the A500, and I'm now wondering if it's easier/possible/better to actually bypass the input stage (remove both Op amps and C53) and inject the signal directly to the junction of C19 & R65?? I am driving the A500 with a DCX2496 using J Didden's active i/o mod..

View attachment 193882

Any thoughts will be appreciated..

Cheers..

Bump for someone on the opposite side of the world..

AKN

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Bump for someone on the opposite side of the world..

Hi,

That OP-amp is crucial for this amp to work, do not remove it. Just look at pin 5 (+in), that is the overall feedback in this circuit!

If you just swap the OP-amp (with something entirely different) oscillations will most likely happen. Compensation must be altered if you want to use a faster/slower OP-amp.

Hi,

That OP-amp is crucial for this amp to work, do not remove it. Just look at pin 5 (+in), that is the overall feedback in this circuit!

If you just swap the OP-amp (with something entirely different) oscillations will most likely happen. Compensation must be altered if you want to use a faster/slower OP-amp.

Thanks for your reply..

I figured as much about IC2.. :(

So,, can I get LM4562 to work in this circuit,, or do I just revert back to JRC4580.. This thread originally states OP2134, but I cannot seem to get the smd version in Aus, and I wonder if I would have had the same problem using them as well??

Cheers..
Murphy

Has anyone experienced problems with A500 channels randomly going quiet?

I've got 8 (yes, eight!) A500s running my cinema room and ChA on one of them goes quiet every so often. Its deffo the amp as I've swapped amps around and it follows that particular amp. The only way to cure it is to wiggle the XLR or jack. I've tried both thinking it might be a duff XLR connector but the symptoms persist. I've had it in bits, gone over all the solder joints with a magnifying glass and an iron, cleaned and reseated all the connections, no joy. :confused:

Also has anyone done distortion measurements with the OPA2134 opamp mod? I think I've got a tube of SOIC package OPAs somewhere :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.