Behringer A500 as a DIY project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I also have copies of the EP1500 and EP2500 power amplifier schematics - and would like them to be widely available.
I wish that Bearstrangler didn't have the restictive policy of not making diagrams available - as equipment, especially that used professionally, must be promptly field serviceable.

They are too big to post directly - but please PM me, with a real e-mail address, if you would like either (or both) schematics.

John Audio said:

They are too big to post directly - but please PM me, with a real e-mail address, if you would like either (or both) schematics.

I'd love to PM you John, but the board doesn't seem to support it?, and you have email via the board blocked. Could you please email me via the board with your email address, and I'll email you privately.

Thanks

audio-kraut said:

There are probably a lot of American and European companies involved in similar partnerships with Asian companies... The European/Asian company is probably providing the circuit design and the Asian company provides very cost-effective manufacturing. In exchange the Asian company probably retains the licensing of the design after the product is discontinued.

This would explain why it's becoming quite usual to see semi-pro brands releasing almost the very same products that were once sold by pro brands but are now discontinued.

I'm interested in the schematics too. Send them to the messenger address that appears in my forum profile.

John Audio said:
I have updated my profile - so PM's should now work!

No, still says:

Sorry! That user has specified that they do not wish to receive emails through this board. If you still wish to send an email to this user, please contact the administrator and they may be able to help.

Although a link for your website has appeared now, I'm looking at it, it's quite interesting!.

Getting back to the original question of this thread (which I guess is now a bit off-topic), I just picked up an Alesis RA150. It strikes me as a pretty good platform for DIY projects - decent looking case, decent-ish xformer and it includes balanced volume pots. It looks like the entire RA series (150, 300, 500) share quite a bit of their internals, differing mainly in the power supply and the fact that the 500 has more heat sinking than the 150 and 300. I'd guess the 500 has more output devices, but I'm not sure.

The RA150 is only rated for 75 w/ch into 4 ohms and so is much lower power than the Behringer. The power supply is +-40V from a ~60VCT secondary though, so it would appear that the limit is current. This makes me question why the 8 ohm rating is so low (45W) since there is adequate heat-sinking. I don't see anything that looks like current limiting circuitry.

It *looks* like you could pull the amp boards (one per channel, mounted directly to the side heat-sinks) and put in your own amp stages; there is a decent amount of room in the case but it's not cavernous. However, the amp is completely discrete (dual-differential balanced circuit according to the manual) and so may respond well to a POOGE approach.

Ayway, for those that aren't up to doing their own cases it might be something to look at if the moderate power and 40V rails suit your project. I got it thinking it might be good for some Hypex UcD's, and it does indeed look like a workable plan ( since I can live with low power). I'll listen for a while and see how it sounds first, though.

If I still remember correctly, the power transformer in Alesis RA500 has center tap! That means Alesis RA-500 is direct coupled amp. However, Behringer A-500 is capacitor coupled output amp. Without the center tap in the transformer, if we like, we can mimic what Quad 606/707/909 do: create a virtual ground using a pair of NPN/PNP (ZTX753/ZTX653 to be precise). However, to play the game on the safe side, it is better to get the schematics first.

SteveSun said:
... However, to play the game on the safe side, it is better to get the schematics first.
SteveSun said:
Hello Steve,

I think Behringer does not provide any schematics.
They give a list of autorized repair shops I believe.
This is unfortunate because, as you very well say, before proceeding with any mods the get a schema is "almost" mandatory.

Kind regards,

beppe

HELP :: I Need The schematics of Behringer EP2500

Minion said:
I have a schematic of the Behringer EP-2500 if someone needs it...?

:D

Hi ,

Can anyone please email me the schematics or service manual for Behringer EP2500 .

I am currently trying to repair this amplifier with the problem of signals from channel A leaking to channel B . I found one of the SMD transistors are shortcircuited and need to find out the part number .

My email address is admin@audioservices.com.my

I will really appreciate your assistance.

With Regards,
Edmund

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.