Tube Compressor

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi
i m wanted to start building a tube compressor for my bass guitar , i found a compressor schematic with two ecc83 , but it seems it s too old ,and i confused bout the pin connection in first tube , it seems somebody draw it after the original schematic , can anybody tell me , are pin2 and pin1 directly connected to together on first tube ? ( i shown it with a red line around it )

sorry i didn t remember the original link of schematic and the image has no info or copyright on it so i attached the photo ,...

--any idea for another compressor ? any mods ?

Attachments

• comp11.jpg
    comp11.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 3,509
Ahmad_tbp said:
hi
i m wanted to start building a tube compressor for my bass guitar , i found a compressor schematic with two ecc83 , but it seems it s too old ,and i confused bout the pin connection in first tube , it seems somebody draw it after the original schematic , can anybody tell me , are pin2 and pin1 directly connected to together on first tube ? ( i shown it with a red line around it )

Yes, they are joined together - the first stage is an AC triode amplifier, the second is strapped as a diode to rectify the signal level. The DC output from this rectifier is fed to the next triode as a DC amplifier, the DC output from that is used to bias the final triode, which is used as a variable resistor - making a variable attenuator in conjunction with the 470K.

Ahmad_tbp said:
thnx Nigel ;)
sorry i m so new in tubes and almost know nothin bout them ,
so i can use it befor preamp with no problem yeah ?

Assuming the preamp has a high input impedance?, designed for a passive bass - obviously it's designed to feed a valve preamp, but a high impedance solid state one will be fine.

Don't know how well it will work?, and personally I don't see the point in doing it using valves - and it's somewhat cruder than solid state ones (for example only using a half wave rectifier).

My daughters a bass player, solid state all the way! - I don't see any advantage with valves for bass?.

hi ,
here s the preamp i m goin to use after it ( ampeg v3 preamp ) :
http://www.drtube.com/schematics/ampeg/v3pre-jp.gif
to Nigel Goodwin : infact most bassists are into solid state cuz they need lotsa power , but wat can ever compare with the warm and alive sound of a tube ? and cuz of that most amps are usin valves for pre and solid state for power , i prefer all tube my self ;)
i built and tried several diffrent solid comb but none of them was satisfy me , so it s time to try a valve comp...
and thnx geek for link at sure i ll try the comp section if i find ic here ;)

If I could suggest something- go for LED-photoresistor compression. It has rather long time constant, which is very good for agressive bass line, has good attack and mild compression. As simple as it gets- amplifiaction control goes from a rectifier and feed the LED, and a LED modulates resistance of photoresistor in voltage divider or op-amp circuit.

Life is like a mystery,
with many clues, but with few anwers
to tell us what it is that we can do to look,
for messages that keep us from the truth
I've heard it some whare before, what's that?

If I could suggest something- go for LED-photoresistor compression...
i saw a circuit for that somewhere but never try it before , but i will ,
the compression is so important for bass ,so i ll try and try to find what i m lookin for ! lol
Ha! I knew it! I knew it!
yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhh death , Chuck Schuldiner R.I.P , Sure u know him yeah ?
this band is like a god for me , i really like him , a true face for metal music , here s my another favor quote from Chuck : beware of the sharp edged weapon , called human being !!
RIP Chuck .... :|
If you can find an IC, I have PCB's available for the compressor circuit
thnx geek but it s impossible for me to buy anything from here ;) lemme see if i can find the ic , converting the schematic to pcb layout is not that hard for me ;) thnx

Ahmad_tbp said:
to Nigel Goodwin : infact most bassists are into solid state cuz they need lotsa power , but wat can ever compare with the warm and alive sound of a tube ? and cuz of that most amps are usin valves for pre and solid state for power , i prefer all tube my self ;)

Depends if you like a clean sound, or the frequency limited and distorted sound from a valve amp?. Personally, for bass, I prefer a clean sound - if you want distortion occasionally add an effects pedal?.

Probably one of the biggest valve advantages is the volume from them?, distorted sound is far louder than clean sound - to compete a transistor amp needs 3-4 times the power!. You can't clip a transistor output stage, it sounds absolutely horrible, but it's standard practice with a valve amp, resulting in a much louder sound.

Depends if you like a clean sound, or the frequency limited and distorted sound from a valve amp
yeah most of bassists think bout valves when they need a distorted sound , but i need absolutly clean sound and still stick with tubes ! lol , i never heard a clean solid state sound that can compare with the clean sound of a tube , but as u said it all depends on taste ,,, i m playin deathmetal , and most deathmetal players like distorted sound for bass , but i m not ;) that s why i m lookin for a comp/limiter ;)

Ahmad_tbp said:

??? i think it s diffrent from wat we here from tubes .. why ?

No, that's the sound people are looking for from valves, the 'warm' sound people like is basically frequency limitation and distortion.

Bear in mind, we're not talking about objectionable distortion, even harmonic distortion is fairly 'musical' - even when over driving valve amps and probably running at 100% distortion.

and so , can i use this comp/limiter after preamp ???

I presume so, but you need a power amplifier with a high impedance input to feed it to - or an active DI box before the power amp should work as well.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.