Tube Compressor

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
As far as i know the limiter circuit is a circuit that protects the devices from overpeaking.It's action takes place only when dc courent appears at the edges of the signal.The compressor circuit is permanently lowering the signal,so that what comes in ,goes out at the same peak level ,but lower volume.THIS is what this schematic does.the only problem is that it truly is made for a restricted frequency range .It quite lowers the bass and i don't know how to enlarge the frequency range

Last edited:
As far as i know the limiter circuit is a circuit that protects the devices from overpeaking.It's action takes place only when dc courent appears at the edges of the signal.The compressor circuit is permanently lowering the signal,so that what comes in ,goes out at the same peak level ,but lower volume.THIS is what this schematic does.the only problem is that it truly is made for a restricted frequency range .It quite lowers the bass and i don't know how to enlarge the frequency range

The term 'limiter' has several meaning depending on the application. In FM radio, for instance, it has a very specific meaning, quite different from the meaning of the word in audio.

Check this out::

[http://www.mediacollege.com/audio/processing/limiter/"]URL="http://www.mediacollege.com/audio/processing/limiter/"]http://www.mediacollege.com/audio/processing/limiter/[/URL][/URL]

The check it against the graphs shown in the article.

Cheers

Ian

..the only problem is that it truly is made for a restricted frequency range. It quite lowers the bass and i don't know how to enlarge the frequency range.

The low frequencies form the largest part of the audiosignal, so the circuit reacts strongly on bass notes. What's normally done is adding an extra signal to the diminished signal, via a LPF.

My advise is to make it a reliable design first, nobody likes a short in his apparatus or wants to destruct following devices. Try biassing via an external voltage, on top of the auto bias.

The low frequencies form the largest part of the audiosignal, so the circuit reacts strongly on bass notes. What's normally done is adding an extra signal to the diminished signal, via a LPF.

My advise is to make it a reliable design first, nobody likes a short in his apparatus or wants to destruct following devices. Try biassing via an external voltage, on top of the auto bias.
Hi there..what is a LPF? .I allready add a 1k resistor in series with the pots and cathodes.With the shorted pots i have 1V cathode bias. Is not good enough?

LPF is jargon for a low pass filter. I won't assist in building a tube stage but tubes have operating conditions which must be obeyed. 1 volt bias might be right if the power dissipation is within limits. That depends on the PS (power supply) voltage, which you left out of the schematic (if I recall it right).

LPF is jargon for a low pass filter. I won't assist in building a tube stage but tubes have operating conditions which must be obeyed. 1 volt bias might be right if the power dissipation is within limits. That depends on the PS (power supply) voltage, which you left out of the schematic (if I recall it right).

The power suply voltage is 150v .I build the compressor using 6n2p tubes .The only problem is that i think i didn't put it in a very good place in the amplifier schematic.I put the compressor output in the input of the first amplifier triode (the ecc83)and (except the low bass response) i have signal noise permanently ,because the input of the amplifier is to sensible probably .Witch makes me belive that it should be placed between the preamp and the final stage...what do you think?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.