A question I couldn't answer...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
OK, there's lots of questions I can't answer but in my peer group I'm the only one surfing these forums and trying to make sense of life, the universe and everything...

So, I built my brother a guitar pre-amp from an old Babini book that is (allegedly) supposed to let an electric guitar be played through a home stereo system.

Of course it did not live up to expectations and I got this simple question:

I can play a CD of 'Stairway to Heaven' and have the guitar rip me to pieces but if I try to play 'Stairway to Heaven' through my stereo on my guitar it either distorts wildly or blows the speakers.

There's a signal that represents Jimmy Page playing 'Stairway to Heaven' on the CD so how come I can't get close when attempting the same thing with an an electric guitar and a home stereo system?

I can't answer that but I'm hoping you guys can and hopefully come up with a workable solution.

During the recording process, some limitation and compression is introduced to keep the dynamic range within limits of recording medium and playback equipment; whereas, while trying to replicate the same thing with your live guitar, the dynamics are far too much for the equipment to handle that it either distorts your preamp by overloading continuously or the instantaneous peak transients force the speaker to bottom out.

Also check the wattage of your amplifier and verify if it is continuously overloaded and hence, sounds like distorted and finally the voice coil burns out from continuous bombardment from DC.

Additionally, you cannot have a straight comparison with the electric guitar, as you would probably with a classic guitar, because most of the time, there is stuff added on the first one, by the performer and/or the recording engineer like distortion, echoes and much more.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.